Pasadena City College, Home of the PCC Lancers

Frequently Asked Questions


What is the PCC school code and mailing address for the Financial Aid Office PCC?

The PCC school code is 001261. Our mailing address is: Office of Financial Aid, 1570 E. Colorado Blvd., L114, Pasadena, CA 91106

Do I have to wait for admission to PCC to apply for financial aid?

No. You do not have to be admitted to PCC in order to apply for financial aid; however, you do have to be registered and meet all eligibility requirements. 

What types of financial aid are offered at PCC?

PCC participates in most of the Federal and state financial aid programs such as the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Work-Study, Federal Direct Student loans and Cal Grants B and C. Scholarships are available through the PCC Foundation Office.

How do I apply for grants at PCC?

To apply for grants, you must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Once the FAFSA is processed, PCC will electronically receive your information and then contact you through your PCC LancerPoint account. For more information visit

What types of financial assistance programs are available to International Students?

Unfortunately, PCC does not offer financial aid to foreign students. Students with a F1 or F2 student visa or only a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa or a G series visa are not eligible for financial aid at PCC. Please follow the link for more information on international students.

Is there a priority deadline to apply for financial aid?

Yes! There is a priority deadline. To receive consideration for campus-based as well as the Cal Grant Entitlement/Competitive programs, students should apply by March 2.

How will I be notified about my financial aid at PCC?

Generally, students are notified by email with the email address on file with Admissions and Records and instructed to check their LancerPoint. You can access LancerPoint at the link listed below.

How long does it take for a Financial Aid application to be processed?

Usually, financial aid applications are processed within 3 - 6 weeks from the date all requested documents are received. Processing times vary depending on time of year and volume of applicants. For an example of the financial aid process at PCC, pleas see flow chart by clicking the link below.

Where can I get financial aid disbursement information?

Details on Disbursement information / award amounts can be obtained by logging onto your LancerPoint account. In addition, anticipated disbursement dates can be found on the Financial Aid web page in the Terms & Condition page.

How can my fees be waived?

If you are a California resident and have submited your FAFSA or the Board of Governor's Grant (Fee Waiver) Application, you may qualify to have your fees waived. This waiver will allow you to register without paying the enrollment fees for your courses. The fee waiver does not include the Associated Student's, Student Representation, or Student Health fees, and you must be sure to pay these fees.

Students are responsible for all outstanding fees. For a list of fees, please see the Admissions and Records webpage by clicking on the link below.

How much does it cost to attend PCC?

Please see the Admissions & Records webpage for a break down of enrollment fees.

Can I receive financial aid from more than one school?

You cannot receive federal aid from more than one school for the same period of enrollment; however, you may still qualify for the California Board of Governors (BOG) fee waiver while receiving financial aid at another school.

Do I have to re-apply for financial aid every year?

Yes. We strongly advise that you renew your FAFSA application on-line in January of every year. Please go to to do so.

What is the financial aid office telephone number?
Our telephone number is (626) 585-7401. Telephone hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Where can I get the 1098-T (Tuition) Tax Form?

The 1098-T Tax Form is automatically mailed out to the address that you have on file with the Records office. If for any reason the form may have been returned to sender, please check with the student Bank. If you received the BOG Fee Waiver for all semesters you were enrolled then you will not receive a 1098-T.

My parents won't give me their information. What do I do?

If you are a dependent student, you must submit parental information. Special circumstances which may prevent you from submitting parental information may be discussed with a Financial Aid Advisor.

My income has changed, what are my options?

If your income has significganctly changed from the income reported on your FAFSA, you may discuss your options with a Financial Aid Advisor.

How do I transfer my FAFSA information to PCC?

You can transfer your FAFSA information to different schools by adding the school code to your existing FAFSA as the top listed school.

What is my COA?

Each college has its own Cost of Attendance (COA) which includes standardized allowances for tuition, housing, books, transportation and personal expenses for the school year. Students may not be awarded aid (including grants, scholarships, loans, Federal Work-Study, stipends and 3rd Party Sponsored Fee Waivers) above their Cost of Attendance.

What is an EFC?

Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is the amount students and their families are reasonably expected to contribute toward the year's educational costs. The Student Aid Report (SAR) from your FAFSA application is used to calculate the EFC using a standard federal formula.

How do I apply for a Cal Grant?

To apply for a Cal Grant you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and submit a Grade Point Average (GPA) Form to the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). If you have less than 16 college credits then your high school must complete the GPA Verification Form. If you have at least 16 college credits then PCC will automatically send your GPA electronically, provided that you have attended at least one term in the last academic year.

What are the steps to apply for financial aid?
  1. Complete the FAFSA application online. Make sure that PCC is listed as the first school on your FAFSA if we are your home school.
  2. Complete the student and/or parent PIN Apllication online if you do not have one.
  3. If you have filed taxes, use the IRS Data Retrieval tool on the FAFSA to upload your income information into the FAFSA. The IRS Data Retrieval tool is the recommended process for obtaining your tax infromation. If you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrival tool you may use your current or prior year federal tax returns or your wage statements (W-2's) for completing the FAFSA application.
  4. Pay attention to the error edits as they are built in to assist you in completing your FAFSA correctly. Incorrect information on your FAFSA and/or Student Aid Report (SAR) will cause delays in processing your file.
  5. Provide the appropriate signatures by using your PIN or the signature page from your FAFSA. If your FAFSA does not have the appropriate signatures (PIN or signature page) your application will be rejected.
  6. Males can verify their selective service registration online.
  7. Print a copy of your FAFSA application for your own records. Always keep copies of any documents that you use to process your financial aid.  
  8. Students can check their financial aid history (including loans) online at the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) for students.
What is an Eligible Program?

Financial aid eligibility requires students to be enrolled in an eligible program. According to the US Department of Education, an eligible program is "organized instruction or study that leads to an academic, professional or vocational degree or certificate or other recognized educational credential." A transfer program to a four-year college also satisfies the defintion of enrollment in an eligible program.

What is a financial aid overpayment?

An overpayment occurs when a student receives more financial aid than he/she was eligible for. Generally, overpayments are the result of changes in enrollment; e.g., full-time to half-time status or a complete withdraw from all classes. Overpayments can also occur when a student’s financial information changes after a grant or loan payment is made. For more information regarding financial aid overpayments, please see a Pasadena City College Financial Aid Advisor.


When do I file the FAFSA?

You may submit a FAFSA starting January 1st thru March 2nd of each year to meet priority filing deadline. If you miss the priority filing deadline of March 2nd, you can still file a FAFSA, but you may not be considered for certain state and institutional grants.

What if I forgot my FAFSA PIN number?

If you have lost or forgotten your PIN, you need to request a duplicate. You can request a duplicate PIN at  and click on "Request A Duplicate PIN". You can choose to receive your duplicate PIN by e-mail, postal mail, or you may choose to view it instantly online.

I do not live with my parents and I am not financially dependent on them, so why does the FAFSA still consider me "dependent"?

You must be able to answer "Yes" to at least one of the conditions in the dependency section of the FAFSA to be considered "Independent". You can complete the dependency status worksheet through the FAFSA website to determine if you are considered a dependent student. Financial independence alone does not make a student "independent" even if you file your own tax return or if you live on your own. If you feel that you have unusual circumstances, please contact the Financial Aid and Scholarship Department at Pasadena City College.


How do I apply for loans at PCC?

To apply for a student loan you must have completed the FAFSA and be meeting Satisfactory Academic Standards. To apply for loans, students must complete a separate application and also complete loan entrance counseling. While PCC does not encourage borrowing, interested students must also educate themselves about the loan program. The loan application will not be accepted until the entrance requirement has been successfully completed. For further information, please contact the financial aid office. For more information view

Please see the link below for additonal information loan information.

New Loan Requirements Beginning July 1, 2013

Effective beginning 2013-2014 aid year:

150% Direct Subsidized Loan Limit: First-time borrowers, as of July1, 2013, are no longer eligible for Direct Subsidized Loans for a period that is more than 150% of the published length of the borrower's current educational program. This does not affect Unsubsidized Loans or PLUS loan eligibility.

A first-time borrower is an individual who has no outstanding balance on a Direct Loan or on a FFEL Program loan on July 1, 2013, or on the date the borrower obtains a Direct Loan after July 1, 2013.

What is the difference between Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans?

Subsidized Direct Loans are for students with financial need. The federal government pays the interest only while you are enrolled at least half-time. Unsubsidized Direct Loans are for qualified students regardless of income or assets. You are responsible for any interest accrued from the date the loan is disbursed to when the loan is repaid.

What are my loan repayment options?

You may learn about all the repayment options available for borrowers at the link below.

What about an alternative loan at PCC?

At PCC, alternative loans are a last resort. Before an alternative loan is certified by PCC, alternative loan applicants must first establish eligibility for the low-interest Federal Direct Student Loans. This includes and is not limited to participating in all of the federal Satisfactory Academic Progress petition/appeal requirements. Please read the Alternative Loan Certification document for more important information on this topic.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress?

Satisfactory Academic Progress is an eligibility requirement for federal or state financial aid. It will apply even if you never received financial aid. To achieve satisfactory academic progress, students are expected to complete their objective (degree, certificate, or transfer) in a timely manner. Since academic progress rules can occur at any point during your education, failing to meet these requirements could lead to termination of your financial aid at PCC.

How do I maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress?

Maintaining SAP with Pasadena City College (PCC) means a student must:

1. Meet the minimum cumulative Grade Point Average standard of 2.0 or higher,

2. Meet the "PACE" requirement by completing at least 67% of the units a student attempts.

3. Complete their educational program within the maximum timeframe (90 units).

NOTE: Coursework from all other colleges, universities, and trade schools are counted toward the student’s Satisfactory Academic Progress review.

HEA Sec. 484(c), 34 CFR 668.16(e), 34 CFR 668.32(f), & 34 CFR 668.34

What are acceptable and unacceptable grades?

These are the grades we use to calculate how you are progressing in your educational objective.

Acceptable grades are: A, B, C, D, CR, P, RD
Unacceptable grades are: F, I, W*, NP, NC

*Includes no record drops

What is financial aid Warning?

A status a school assigns to a student who is failing to make satisfactory academic progress. The school reinstates eligibility for aid for one payment period and may do so without a student appeal. This status may only be used by schools that check SAP at the end of each payment period and it is also only for students who were making SAP in the prior payment period they were enrolled in or who were in the first payment period of their program.

What is financial aid disqualification?

Financial Aid disqualifion occurs when:

  • A student who as been placed on Warning for the prior term fails to make SAP
  • An A.A., A.S., or a B.A. or higher degree 
What is financial aid probation?

A student is assigned financial aid probation when a student who is failing to make satisfactory academic progress and who successfully appeals. Eligibility for aid may be reinstated for one payment period.

How can I appeal my disqualification?

Submit a petition to the Office of Financial Aid. The petition must include a statement, your most recent Student Educational Plan and documentation to support exceptional circumstances beyond your control (i.e. illness, family emergency, etc.). If you have attempted more than 90 units, explain why you need more time to complete your educational goal, what circumstances prevented you from reaching your educational goal and how long it will take you to complete that goal.

The appeal committee will use regulatory guidelines set by the Department of Education and institutional policy to review Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements to determine a student’s eligibility for Student Financial Aid (SFA).

What can I do to improve my academic performance at PCC?

We recommend all students enroll in Counseling 10, Introduction to College, Counseling 11, Learning Strategies and College Skills Devleopment. Students should view "success" as completing all units attempted with acceptable grades (A, B, C, CR or P). For purposes of financial aid, W's, F's and INC's are not acceptable grades.

Student Portal

What is my LancerPoint User name and Password?

Your user name is automatically assigned to you. In general, your user name will be the initial of your first name with your last name, and possibly a number(s) on the end.

You can look up your LancerPoint ID at, by typing in your PCC ID Number (which is the last 8 digits on your LancerCard) and your last name. Your IIN is printed on your original PCC enrollment receipt, which was either given, mailed or e-mailed to you when you first enrolled at the college.

Your Password is created by you when you first activate your LancerPoint account. If you forget your password you can reset it at

Study Abroad

All I need to know about Study Abroad and Financial Aid.

Please click on the link below for information on Study Abroad and Financial Aid.

Will financial aid cover everything?

No. Financial aid is a supplement and only covers costs related to educational expenses. Those costs are: fees, books and supplies, a reasonable amount for room and board, transportation, and miscellaneous expenses.

Will financial aid pay the deposit?

No. All payments are the responsibility of the student.

May I receive financial aid for summer study abroad programs?

With the exception of the Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGW) and any remaining academic year Pell Grant, PCC does not provide additional financial aid for summer study abroad. We recommend that interested students enrolled in the previous fall and spring terms complete the FAFSA for financial aid consideration during either of those terms. Prior term eligibility is subject to applicable processing deadlines and program requirements.

What is PCC's Federal School Code?

Pasadena City Colleges Federal School Code is 001261

Who is my Financial Aid Interviewer?

Your Financial Aid Interviewer is assigned based on your last name (see below).  
Financial Aid Interviewers are available Monday-Friday 9:00 am-12 noon and 2:00pm-4:00pm

Last Name Financial Aid Interviewer Last Name Financial Aid Interviewer
A-D Gayane Chevchyan L-P Han Dao
E-K Elizabeth Garcia Q-Z Rebecca Arden

Verification & Financial Aid Documents

Why do I have to turn in my IRS Tax Transcripts?

Your IRS Tax Transcripts are necessary in order to verify the information submitted on your FAFSA.

Why was I selected for verification?

The Department of Education requires that all schools providing financial aid select a percentage of financial aid applicants to verify information on the FAFSA. If selected for verification, you must submit all requested documents to be considered for aid.

Work Study

What is Federal Work-Study?

The Federal Work-Study Program provides jobs for PCC students with financial need, allowing them to earn money while they are in school. The program encourages community service and work related to your course of study.

How do I qualify for Federal Work-Study at PCC?

It's simple! All you do to apply for Federal Work-Study is complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and indicate your interest in Work Study. If you apply by March 2nd you may be considered for Federal Work-Study funds. Additional qualifications include: financial need, US Citizenship or eligible non-citizen (permanent resident), half-time; enrollment (6 units) satisfactory academic progress and you may not be in default on a student loan or owe a grant repayment. Funds are subject to availabiliity.

How much will I make?
Your Federal Work-Study wages will be at least the current federal minimum wage, but it may be higher, depending on the type of work you do and the skills required. At PCC, the minimum Federal Work-Study hourly wage is $9.00 per hour. The maximum hourly wage is $11.00 per hour. (off campus) Your total Federal Work-Study award depends on when you apply your level of need, and the funds available at PCC.
How will I be paid?

As a Federal Work-Study employee, you'll be paid by the hour. At PCC you are paid twice a month according to the Payroll Schedule. Students are paid directly by mail. Work-Study funds must be used to pay for your educational expenses; i.e., tuition, fees, room and board, transportation and other school-related expenses.

Revised Payroll Schedule for Federal Work Study for Winter/Spring 2011-2012

Are Federal Work-Study jobs on campus or off campus?
Yes, the work-study jobs may be on or off-campus. If you work on campus, you can choose to work for a variety of PCC offices, departments or organizations. On-campus employment includes but is not limited to the Shatford Library, Engineering and Technology Department or the Office of Admissions and Records. If you work off-campus, your employer will usually be a private nonprofit organization or a public agency, and the work performed must be in the public interest. Each employer has a job description that explains the duties and the work schedule.
Can I work as many hours as I want?

No. Federal law says student workers are limited to 19 hours per week. However, the amount you earn can't exceed your total Federal Work-Study award. When determining work hours, you and your supervisor should create a work schedule based on your class schedule, total Work-Study Award and hourly pay rate.

How do I obtain a Work-Study job?

You can view on and off campus Work-Study job opportunities at the website below. After you find a job you are interested in, speak to the Work-Study coordinator at the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid (L-114). At this meeting, you will be given information to refer you to the employer. You cannot start work until you receive a signed referral from the work-study coordinator. Student employment is at the discretion of the work program supervisor.