Pasadena City College, Home of the PCC Lancers

Frequently Asked Questions


How do I get started in the SLPA Program?
Students begin in the SLPA Program by making application to Pasadena City College and registering for one of the 7 classes of general education that are a part of the 62 unit SLPA program. To be successful, students must earn a “C” or better in all classes, have no prior record of criminal conviction, and have a sincere desire to assist those with communication disorders and work in a pragmatic, ethical and collegial manner in a team environment.
What if I have taken college courses at other colleges?

Transcripts may be reviewed by the Coordinator and/or one of her designees and the Counseling Office in the L building. The PCC SLPA Program is a Speech Pathology and Audiology Licensing Board-approved program through the Department of Consumer Affairs. It is very important that coursework taken elsewhere by a student is determined as equivalent to the Board-approved PCC SLPA Program.

What are the General Education courses?

These requirements are 4 units of natural science with a lab (such as Biology 11); Psychology 24; Linguistics/English 10; English 1A; Speech 10; Math 131; American Institutions 125; Health Education and PE.

What are the Technical Core Content courses?

These courses are grouped by semester and students should follow the recommended course sequence. Please note that some courses require prerequisites; others are only offered once a year. The courses are Speech 3, SLPA 18 and Linguistics/English 12 in semester 1; SET 100, SLPA 119 and ASL 10A in semester 2; SLPA 123A, SET 105 and SET 122 in semester 3 and SLPA 123B, CHDV 15 and SLPA 126 in semester 4.

Why can’t I take any courses that are offered and in any order I want?

The SLPA Program trains students to become Speech-Language Pathology  Assistants who will assist the Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP) in service delivery in public schools, non-public agencies, rehabilitation settings and private practices. Students must demonstrate core competencies as required by the Licensing Board in Sacramento with guidance by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). To demonstrate competencies, SLPA students must have a solid academic background in oral and written English competency; critical thinking, understanding of diversity and interpersonal communication; and all technical SLPA competencies
required to be a licensed paraprofessional.

How long will it take me to complete my SLPA Program training at PCC?

Students who attend PCC full-time should finish the SLPA Program within a 2 year period, including intersessions. Students who attend PCC part-time will take a longer period of time.

How expensive is the PCC SLPA Program?

With recent tuition hikes at all community colleges, a student attending will pay $26.00 per unit. With 62 units, that would be a cost of $1612.00, not including Associated Student Body and Health Center fees, parking or cost for required textbooks. Students will also have expenses related to the fieldwork practicum experience including live scan fingerprinting for off-campus practicum, NSSLHA membership and malpractice insurance when enrolled in SLPA 126, fieldwork. Students should plan on approximate costs of $3,500.00 to finance their SLPA Program.

What happens when I complete my PCC SLPA Program?

With a "C" or better in all classes, students have their PCC transcripts mailed directly to the Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Licensing Board in Sacramento. Students complete the application process and are registered by the Licensing Board. When the graduated student receives his/her Speech Pathology Assistant (SPA) registration number, he/she may now be gainfully and legally employed as a SLPA. The Coordinator and/or her designee will assist each and every SLPA student completing his/her program with preparation and organization of forms for the Licensing Board.

Is there a formal application for the PCC SLPA Program at this time?

Not yet. PCC was the 1st SLPA Program to open in southern California. Its graduates have been highly successful as employed SLPAs and some transferring on to complete Bachelor and Master degrees to become a Speech Pathologist. (SLP). Please understand that very few of the courses that you take at PCC will transfer to a baccalaureate SLP program at the university.

Why can’t I get into the class I want to take at Pasadena City College?

Your ability to secure a seat in a desired class is directly related to how long you have been on campus as a student. All classes have limits that have been designed for optimum learning and physical limitations of the classroom. With the recent budget cuts in California, fewer sections are offered. Please understand that this is a situation that is affecting all students at all campuses, both community colleges and universities, and not just PCC. Complete your General Education requirements and realize that due to the extraordinary fiscal crisis in California and the nation, that it may take you longer to complete your SLPA Program.
Please go to:
"California Budget Woes Hurt University System."