Pasadena City College, Home of the PCC Lancers

Student Life

Frequently Asked Questions

Search FAQs For:

Athletic Eligibility

Flea Market

Project L.E.A.P.

Athletic Eligibility

Are California Community College athletics for me?

You are allowed a maximum of four (4) seasons of intercollegiate athletic competition in a given sport. Your first two (2) seasons can be at a community college.

Can I compete at any California community college?

Yes. As long as you meet state and college academic and athletic rules, you may compete in intercollegiate athletics. You are eligible as a first-year participant if you meet the following guidelines: 1. You are an amatuer athlete in the sport in which you want to participate. 2. You have not competed in intercollegiate athletics at any college or university. 3. You are enrolled in and actively attending California community college college classes for a minimum of 12 units of which 9 count toward the associate degree, remediation, transfer and/or certification during your season of participation. To be eligible to participate in a second season of the same sport at the same college, you must meet the following guidelines: 4. You must complete 24 semester/36 quarter units between seasons of sport, of which 18 semester/27 quarter units count towards the associate degree, remediation, transfer and/or certification units. 5. Beginning with your first season of participation in intercollegiate athletics, your cumulative GPA must be 2.0 or above. 6. You are enrolled in and actively attending a minimum of 12 units of which 9 are units toward the associate degree, remediation, transfer and/or certification during your season of participation. If you are transferring to the community college after participating in intercollegiate athletics at another community college or university, you will need to check with your athletic director to determine additional eligibility rules.

Can I be recruited by any California community college coach?

No. Coaches may only recruit in their recruiting area. California is divided into community college districts. A district is the local community which the community college serves. A coach may recruit athletes from the college's district and those districts that share a common boundary or are immediately next door. The recruiting area is the college's district high schools and the contiguous district's high schools.

Can all California commuity college coaches meet with me and my family in person?

No. A coach cannot travel outside his or her recruiting area to meet with you, your family or team. If you do not live within the borders of the recruiting area and you wish to meet with a representative of the out-of-area college, then you must go to that area to meet with the coach in person. You are permitted to contact the coach by phone, mail or internet.

What are the rules when I visit a California community college?

If you live in the recruiting area of the community college you wish to visit, the coach may provide you with: *Information related to academic work and job opportunties *A meal on campus If you live outside the recruiting area of the community college you wish to visit, the coach may not provide any form of financial assistance to travel to the campus or while on campus. This includes: *Transportation or fuel *Food *Reimbursement money

When do I register for classes? How do I know what classes to take?

The coach will give you information regarding important dates for registration and financial aid. These dates are important to follow. Not completing financial aid information by the priority date could delay your ability to receive funding if you qualify. Delaying your registration after the initial registration period could keep you from taking the courses that you need to complete your academic goals. Your coach will help you meet with a counselor at the college to develop your Student Educational Plan. This plan will help you to clarify your educational goals and select the courses you need to take. It is from this plan that you choose the classes you take each semester.

Are there other things I should ask the coach about?

College brings many changes. Coaches can assist you providing information and placing you in touch with offices that can help you make a smooth transition. This may include: *Referring you to a counseling contact with knowledge of COA, NCAA and NAIA athletic eligibility rules. *Referring you to a counselor for academic, career, and personal counseling. *Referring you to a job placement and resource center.

If I have questions, who can I call?

The Commission on Athletics governs athletes at California Community Colleges. You can request further information by calling (916) 444-1600, or via email at

Flea Market

When is the Flea Market held?

The Flea Market, unless otherwise noted, will always be on the First Sunday of the Month.

Project L.E.A.P.

What is Project LEAP?

Project LEAP is a mentoring program designed to increase the retention rate of probationary, under-represented students and returning students. Students are matched one-on-one with a volunteer mentor who meet with the them to listen, care, motivate, and encourage them to maximize their potential.

Who can enrolled in Project LEAP?

Any student that is enrolled at PCC, that is having academic challenges and feels he/she could benefit from a mentoring partnership.

Where is the Project LEAP office located ?

The Project LEAP Office is located in the Campus Center, room CC213.

What are the office hours for Project LEAP?

Monday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.


Acrobat PDF logo This information is in PDF format. The freely available Adobe® Acrobat® Reader is required. To download a free copy click here.

Adobe Reader download graphic.