The purpose of Academic Renewal (Sections 55764 and 55765 of
the California Code of Regulations) is to disregard students’ previously
recorded substandard academic performance when such work
does not reflect current demonstrated ability. As a consequence,
Academic Renewal allows students the benefits of their current level
of ability and performance and does not permanently penalize them
for poor performance in the past. Academic Renewal encourages students
to continue their efforts toward their educational objectives
when the weight of previously recorded substandard work would otherwise
make the achievement of those objectives unlikely.
Academic Renewal is intended only to facilitate graduation from
Pasadena City College (2.000 grade-point average) and/or enable
qualified students to transfer to a four-year college or university
(2.000 to 2.400 grade-point average). It is not applicable to students
who wish to raise their grade-point averages beyond these stated
- A student may be granted Academic Renewal only once in an
academic career at the college.
- A student may request Academic Renewal for no more than two
semesters (or three quarters) of work accomplished at any accredited
college or university through a petition to the Petitions Committee.
- If and when the petition is granted, the student’s permanent
record will be annotated so that it is readily evident to all users
of the record that no units taken during the disregarded term(s),
even if satisfactory, will apply toward units for graduation or any
other educational objective. All work must remain legible on the
record, ensuring a true and complete academic history.
- The student seeking Academic Renewal is responsible for presenting
evidence to the effect that the previously recorded work
was substandard academic performance (less than 2.000) and is
not a reflection of more recently demonstrated academic ability.
Evidence of recent academic ability may include, but is not limited
to all of the units taken after the last semester to which academic
renewal is being requested, meeting one of the following:
- 15 semester units attempted with at least a 3.000 GPA
- 30 semester units attempted with at least a 2.500 GPA
- 45 semester units attempted with at least a 2.000 GPA
- The student must present evidence that he or she is enrolled in
a defined educational program.
- There must be an elapsed time period of 18 months between the end of the most recent Academic Renewal and the date of the initiation of the
request and such renewal.
- Academic Renewal by Pasadena City College does not guarantee
that other institutions outside of the district will approve
such action. This determination will be made by the respective
Renewal petition is submitted to the Office of Enrollment Services, L112.