Dr. Alma S. Adams Scholarship
Scholarship applications from high school, undergraduate, or graduate students – will be accepted starting January 1st through April 30th, 2013. Scholarship awardees will be notified by June 28th, 2013. Scholarship funds may be used for tuition, books and related living expenses while attending any accredited college or university within the U.S.
Awards will be granted on a competitive basis for the following: a) a record of commitment to community service on behalf of an underserved population related to tobacco prevention and/or control and b) the best use of visual arts, media, creative writing or other creative endeavor to convey culturally appropriate health messages aimed at raising community awareness of tobacco’s harmful impact. Entries may include creative writing, a musical composition or a sample from a visual arts medium.
1. Applicants must provide evidence of community service activities in an underserved community setting. Service activities may include activism, outreach, or peer counseling in tobacco prevention or control. The community service activity should be described in the personal statement and (see application instructions on page 5).
2. Applicants must submit documentation of financial need for scholarship funds (SAR report).
3. Students pursuing a course of study in public health, communications, social work, education, liberal arts or a related field will be considered eligible.
4. Applicants must have a Grade Point Average of at least a 3.0 (B average) for the most recent academic year.
- The first phase of the review will ensure that the basic eligibility criteria have been met and the guidelines observed.
- A second review phase will include an external panel that will be responsible for making recommendations to Legacy staff.
to apply: legacyforhealth.org/adamscholarship
email: adamscholarship@legacyfor health.org