Live Scan Fingerprinting
*Please note that we are located on the PCC Community Education Center campus, NOT the main PCC campus.
What is "Live Scan"?
- "Live Scan" is the process of obtaining digital fingerprints and submitting
them electronically to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and, when applicable, to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) as required for a condition of employment, licensing, certification, permits, adoptions and VISA/Immigration clearance. Live Scan is a fast and easy way to submit and process background checks. Our process takes only a few minutes.
- No appointment is needed.
- Once we complete our fingerprinting process, your file is immediately transmitted to the DOJ for background check processing.
- Background check results are typically received by the requesting Agency within 3 business days, but could take up to 30 days depending upon DOJ processing times.
- Please be aware that previous Live Scans and resulting background checks cannot be transfered from one agency to another.
What to Bring:
- Three (3) completed copies of your "Request for Live Scan Form". (Note on completing your form- Your agency/employer will provide you with a partially completed form and/or provide directions to you. You will then need to add your personal information to the form)
- Contact your agency or employer to provide you with their specific Live Scan form or
- Refer to the California Department of Justice website for general forms and information.
- Valid Photo ID (Expired ID's will not be accepted.)
- Form of payment.
- Our fingerprint rolling fee is $20.
- Additional fees may apply if your agency/employer has not supplied a BIL # on your live scan application. Standard fees that may apply are:
- DOJ $32 (may vary)
- FBI $17 (may vary)
- Record Review $25
DOJ/FBI fees may vary (i.e. Dept of Social Services & non-profits). Please refer to the DOJ website for current fees. You may also call us and provide the following information to help us determine your DOJ and FBI fees:
- Your agency ORI#
- Type of license or type of employment (i.e. volunteer or employee)
- Type of facility (Applies to the Dept. of Social Services only)
*We do our best to keep our information up to date, but please be aware that fees are subject to changes by the Department of Justice without notice.
Let us come to you!
- Mobile Service for Live Scan service is available to groups of 10 applicants or more.
- Contact our office to schedule an appointment.
How to Follow up on your criminal background check results:
- After we have completed your Live Scan we will provide you with an ATI#. You may use the ATI# and your date of birth to contact the DOJ Automated Applicant Response System at 916-227-4557 for more information on the processing of your results. It is recommended that you wait a few days for your status to update into the DOJ Automated Response System.
- We are a Live Scan Service Provider and are not authorized to receive your resulting background check so please contact your agency or employer to check the status of those results.
- Once we have submitted live scan information you may follow up by contacting the DOJ Please contact your requesting agency or refer to the DOJ website regarding how to follow up on your background check results.
We are a designated government agency certified by the California Department of Justice (DOJ) to perform live scan fingerprinting for purposes of criminal background checks for the DOJ and FBI. We take great care to ensure the privacy rights of all applicants and the proper handling of confidential applicant information. Please note that we do not receive your background results. You must contact your requesting agency or DOJ to inquire about your results as they are the only one(s) you have authorized to receive those results.
As trained fingerprint technicians we always do our best to ensure the clearest prints are taken to prevent the rejection of your prints by the DOJ and/or FBI due to poor print quality. However, certain uncontrollable factors can sometimes lead to print rejection (i.e. chemical exposure to the hands, excessive hand washing, age, etc). If your prints are rejected, please return to our office with the DOJ and/or FBI rejection letter. There will be no additional cost to retake your fingerprint impressions.
In the case of minors two requirements must be met for live scan fingerprinting:
- Parent consent (Parent affidavit/letter stating that they are the parent and are consenting to allow the child to be fingerprinted or accompanying parent.
- Valid Photo ID (Primary form of ID = State issued Drivers License/ID)
*When a minor cannot provide a primary form of ID, the following may also be accepted:
- One (1) of the following forms of secondary ID:
- State issued Certificate of Birth
- Valid U.S. Passport
- U.S. Tribal or Bureau of Indian Affairs ID Card
- Social Security Card
- Court Order for Name Change/Gender Change/Adoption/Divorce
- U.S. Government issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Foreign Passport with appropriate immigration document(s)
- Certificate of Citizenship (N560)
- Certificate of Naturalization (N550)
- INS I-551 Resident Alien Card issued since 1997
- INS I-688 Temporary Resident ID Card
One Supplementary ID:
- Valid Student ID from a local school (bring original and 1 copy)
- One accompanying parent/guardian must provide their own valid primary ID (bring original and 1 copy)
*Note that also in the case of minors supplemental documents must support the validation of the secondary ID (i.e. school ID show child’s picture & name, parent ID shows same last name as the child, guardian provides documents showing proof of custody, etc).