Information for ESL and PCC Faculty
Independent Learning plans for your ESL students
The mission of the ESL Center is to complement your class curriculum. When sending your students to the ESL Center, please make sure they have a clear idea of what you'd like them to do. Please direct your students to the ESL Center Portfolio sheets. Students use these to record ESL Center activities. ESL instructors may choose to require students submit their self-assessment at the middle and/or end of each semester a sample gradesheet is available for you to adapt.
Films to assign or use in your classrooms
If you would like to borrow a DVD to review at home or use in your classrooms, PCC ESL faculty can check out a DVD and take it home for up to 3 days. Here is a comprehensive list of films containing links to student materials and teacher lesson plans for certain films, you can download the Movie List for Faculty. If you would like to bring your class to view the film in the ESL Center, please check the room schedule.
- Generic film review worksheet for students - Students can use this worksheet with almost any film in the collection.
Desk copies stored in ESL Center
Desk copies and instructor manuals for ESL classroom textbooks are now stored in ESL Center. Feel free to stop by and look at the books.
Forms you give your students:
- ESL Center activities recommendation memo. It starts: "Dear student: I notice that you can improve your English much more if you regularly do the following activities in addition to coming to class, doing your homework, studying and being a conscientious, independent learner:..." Check off the activities that you would recommend your students do
- Suggested activities per skill for tutor to work on with student and sign off on. Can be adapted to any level. Thanks to Christina Salazar for this contribution!
- Basic workshop/tutor sign-off sheet. If you would like your students to show you that they've attended tutoring or a workshop, you can have them use this form. You may also want to have students write a journal on their experiences at the ESL Center and turn it in with the slips in the middle or end of the semester.
- Sample ESL Center Cover Sheets: General for core courses and Listening/Speaking
- BOOK REPORT activity sheet.pdf
- CONVERSATION GP activity sheet.pdf
- DVD activity sheet.pdf
- GAME activity sheet.pdf
- TEXTBOOK activity sheet.pdf
- WORKSHOP activity sheet.pdf
Workshop you can schedule with your classes
ESL 33B Learning Styles Workshop - Contact Tamiya Cousins in the Learning Assistance Center to schedule a learning styles workshop for your 33B class.
We need your input and participation.
Also, the ESL Center relies on faculty participation. If you have an idea for a workshop, a suggestion for future acquisitions to the collection, suggestions on which textbooks work with the current offering of DVDs or if you have created lesson plans to share with current materials in the ESL Center, please let one of the ESL Center committee members know.
Current ESL Center Committee Members
- Mecom, Alice ( ESL Center Coordinator)
- de Carvalho, Valerie (ESL)
- Horton, Gloria (ESL, English)
- Liebing, Katja (ESL Center Assistant)
- Lin, Freya (Intermediate Clerk II/Translator, Languages)
- McGaharn, Angela (ESL)
- Michelson, Melissa (ESL)
- Potter, Charlene (ESL, Ling, French)
- Snyder, Eileen Anne (LAC Assistant III)