Learning Assistance Center (LAC) Handouts for Improving English Writing Skills
- Four Steps to a Good Essay
- Find the Topic Sentence!
- Correct Word Choice
- LAC ESL Materials
- LAC Useful Links (many online resources for ESL, study skills and other course topics)
Other campus resources
- LAC Study Skills Videos (available in Learning Assistance Center)
- Plagiarism tutorial (an interactive and fun learning module to help students who are writing research papers)
Links for ESL students (especially in the Health Sciences major)
- Writing Skills for Health Sciences Students
- Communication Skills for Health Sciences Students
- Test Taking Skills for Health Sciences Students
- Success Skills for Health Sciences Students
Academic success/ counseling
- Transferring from PCC to university: The Basics for ESL Students (PowerPoint presentation)
- Films On Demand - PCC Library 7,000 full length programs and 62,500 video segments on many educational subjects. Most are closed captioned so you can read what you hear. If you are having trouble viewing the clips, you may need to enter through the PCC Library’s webpage.
- Educational Video Clips - Intelecom/ PCC Library (A repository of embeddable video clips streamed on demand. You can select from a variety of video collections in core curriculum subjects including the Biological Sciences, History, Philosophy, Psychology, Environmental Studies, Oceanography, Sociology and more. Closed captioning (cc) is available. If you are having trouble viewing the clips, you may need to enter through the PCC Library’s webpage: http://www.pasadena.edu/library/dbtitle.cfm)
- TED: Ideas worth spreading (Real talks and lectures by interesting and some famous people.)
- Khan Academy Learn almost anything for free. With a library of over 3,000 videos covering everything from arithmetic to physics, finance, and history and 315 practice exercises, we are on a mission to help you learn what you want, when you want, at your own pace.
- Click here for recommended multimedia tools
- Phonemic Character Keyboard - Practice the phonemic chart.
- The sounds of English and the International Phonetic Alphabet - see and hear the sounds of American and British English.
- Celebrate! Holidays in the USA This online resources discusses the ten national holidays, like Martin Luther King Day, and also celebratory days, like Valentines Day and Mother's Day.
Writing Research Papers