Skip to Content

Child Development Center

This information is in PDF format. The freely available Adobe® Acrobat® Reader is required.
Download a free copy
Get Adobe Reader

License/Permit Requirements

Licensing Requirements

Child DrawingCalifornia State Law - Title V, requires anyone working in a publicly funded early childhood program hold a State of California Child Development Permit. The Child Development Permits are issued through the California Department of Education, Commission on Teacher Credentialing.

California State Law - Title 22, requires anyone working with children under five years old must have a minimum of 12 units of Child Development courses. The required 12 units at PCC are: Psy 21, CHDV 10, CHDV 15 and CHDV 120.

Title V - Requirements for employment in Public School Programs

Title XXII - Requirement for employment in Private School Programs

Child Development Permit

The State of California Commission on Teacher Credentialing issues the Child Development Permit.  There are six different levels of the permit.  The requirements for each are explained on the Child Development Permit Matrix.  This is a teaching permit, which verifies that you have successfully completed certain educational requirements, and authorizes you to teach or supervise in an early childhood educational program.


Adobe Acrobat Reader IconChild Development Permit Matrix PDF (English)

Adobe Acrobat Reader IconChild Development Permit Matrix PDF (Spanish)

Who Needs a Child Development Permit?

You must have a permit to be eligible for employment in subsidized centers (Title 5) funded by the Child Development Division of California Department of Education.  Other types of childcare programs (example Title XXII or Family childcare) can choose to require Child Development Permits for employment.

Revised: August 23, 2010