How to Become A CHDV-WFI Member
Steps for becoming a member of the PCC CHDV-WFI program:
PASADENA CITY COLLEGE HAS BEEN AWARDED A WORKFORCE INTITATIVE GRANT FROM LOS ANGELES UNIVERSAL PRESCHOOL (LAUP). THIS GRANT ALLOWS US TO OFFER STUDENTS CURRENTLY PURSUING BA OR MA DEGREES IN THE FIELD OF CHILD DEVELOPMENT AN OPPORTUNITY TO EARN A $500 PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AWARD.
REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY:
- Currently attending Pacific Oaks College and pursuing a degree in Early Childhood Education or Human Development OR attending California State University, Los Angeles (CSULA) and pursuing a degree in Child Development.
- Submit the attached Interest Form with a copy of your current class schedule and a transcript showing one of the above-mentioned majors.
- Reviewthis sheet to gain an understanding of what being a PCC CHDV-WFI GRAD member entails. As a member of this program you will commit to a ten-hour Service Learning Opportunity in order to be awarded a $500 Professional Development Award at the end of EACH semester. (10 hours each semester = $500 each semester) We offer you several options for completing your hours. We hope that you will chose an option that best suits your professional and/or academic goals.
WE WANT YOU TO JOIN THE PCC CHDV-WFI GRAD PROGRAM and LET US SUPPORT YOUR SUCCESS.
The Pasadena City College Child Development Workforce Initiative Program works with High School, Community College, and four-year College/University students. The PCC CHDVWFI Program's goal is to help build a professional Child Development Workforce in Los Angeles County.
As a four-year College/University level member, we will consider you a GRAD who has already achieved an advanced understanding in the field. We are hoping that you will share your knowledge, skills, experience, and passion for Child Development with the other members of the PCC CHDV-WFI program (either High School or Community College). We know your time is valuable, therefore allowing you to choose your area or areas of focus. We encourage you to select an area according to your interest, experience, or specialization.
These ten hours are considered a Service Learning Opportunity where you will be compensated $500 in the form of a Professional Development Award. In essence you will be earning $50 dollars an hour for ten hours of your time. Please be aware that this Service Learning Opportunity will not only enrich the experience of the other WFI members but it is a fabulous opportunity for you to gain Professional Development in the field.
Service Learning Hours can be spent in the one or more of these areas:
- Visit High Schools with the CHDV-WFI High School Outreach Program Assistant.
- Share your professional and/or academic journey with PCC students at a CHDV-Club meeting or via a question and answer section on the PCC CHDV-WFI Program Website.
- Assist with presenting a transfer workshop. Speaking as a former PCC student who has transferred to either PO or CSULA.
- Lead a workshop for current PCC Child Development majors (topic must be approved).
- Lead a computer training session or other web-based/tech training.
- Assist a Child Development Professor who teaches in the area of your specialization (i.e.: Administration, Early Literacy, Special Education).
- Interview professionals at various types of centers and create a power point or video presentation to post on our PCC CHDV-WFI Program Website.
- Volunteer at the PCC CHDV-WFI Program Office. Assisting current PCC members, helping to develop the Resource Library, data collection, and the like.
- Be a mentor to one or more current PCC CHDV-WFI members.
- You may propose your own ideas but they must be approved by a CHDV-WFI staff member.
Once you complete the Interest Form and submit it with the necessary proofs (current schedule and transcript showing your declared major), you will be sent an email link to a LAUP Online Application. This Application is lengthy (15 to 20 minutes) but the confidential data that you supply is valuable to the funding of the program. Once the online application is processed we will contact you and set up a time to meet and discuss the Service Learning Opportunity of your choice. At this meeting we will develop a timeframe of execution and contract stating your commitment to the program. Upon completion of your Service Learning Opportunity we will issue a certificate for the Professional Growth Hours you shared with the program. Once we receive a copy of your transcript showing completion of your semester coursework, we will issue your Professional Growth Award (a $500 check).
For questions or to receive additional information about the program contact the CHDV-WFI Coordinator Jennifer Kennedy: PHONE (626) 585-7404, EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org, OFFICE C-346