Conexión - Peer Tutoring
How do I join Conexión?
Come to the TLC in V102 to speak with the Conexión program coordinator and fill out an application.
MATH - ENGLISH - MATH & ENGLISH
What is Conexión?
Conexión is a volunteer multi-generational peer tutoring program. It is housed in the Teaching and Learning Center (V102) and is available to students enrolled in Pathways.
What is Conexión’s mission?
Conexión seeks to empower students to become successful interdependent learners by developing meaningful peer tutoring/mentoring relationships.
Why multi-generational peer-tutoring?
College success involves understanding course content, acquiring good study skills, networking, and becoming familiar with the best way we learn. By working with a multi-generational peer-tutor, a student strengthens all of the above-mentioned areas to aid in the success of his/her academic goals.
When is tutoring effective?
Our program works well in a helpful and friendly environment. Tutor/mentors have knowledge of the tutoring process, learning styles, math/writing anxiety, ethics and motivation.
Who can be a tutor?
To volunteer, students must:
- Be motivated to help their peers do well in college and have been a member of a TLC program.
- Work well one-on-one or with a small group
- Have a 2.8 G.P.A and an "A" in the subject they are interested in tutoring or a 3.0 G.P.A and a "B" in the subject they are interested in tutoring.
- Attend an orientation and enroll in an on-line tutor training course conducted by the Learning Assistance Center.
- Volunteer a minimum of four hours a week.
Why become a Conexión tutor/mentor?
In addition to the great reward of helping other students succeed, Conexión volunteers also receive…
- A PCC tutoring certificate
- An opportunity to apply for a PCC tutorial scholarship
- A Certificate of Basic Tutoring Completion
- Access to the TLC computer lab
- The personal reward of seeing their tutees do well academically
- An opportunity to strengthen their knowledge in the subject being tutored
- A stipend upon completion of tutor training
- A letter of recommendation