Frequently Made Mistakes in Grammar and Mechanics
Subject-verb agreement means that the number of subjects completing an action must correspond or be in agreement with the verb. In other words, if you have one one or more subjects in a sentence, then the verbs must reflect the number of subjects completing the action.
- All sentences must have a subject (noun) and a verb to be complete sentences .
- She finished the project by herself.
- Subjects and verbs can be either singular (one in number) or plural (many in number).
- I read a case study on language development. (singular)
- They read a case study on language devlepment. (plural)
- Subject verb agreement means that the number of subjects (nouns) in a sentence must be in agreement with the verb.
- Singular example: The university (subject/noun) is (verb) in the state of California.
- Plural example: The universities (subject/noun) are (verb) in the state of California.