Anthropology 1 - Physical Anthropology
The Library Catalog is a database of books, media, and course reserves located in the library's collection. To find resources in the library by subject, you will need a call number which is based on either the Dewey Decimal or Library of Congress Classification System and leads you to the specific item on the shelf. To find the call number, use the Library Catalog. (http://library.pasadena.edu/vwebv/searchBasic)
Use the Basic Search to look for an item using keyword anywhere or in a specific field (eg. title field or subject field).
To find information about a person, use the Subject tab and type the person’s name (last name, first).
To find information on a topic, you can use your keyword search results to identify library subject headings or you can select the Subject tab and type in a library subject heading.
Related subjects (Narrower, Broader and See also)
To search for a title you have two options: 1. select title from the drop down menu (to search by title keyword) or 2. select from the drop down menu title browse, to search by exact title wording. (Skip the first word of the title if it is an article, e.g. 'a', 'an' or 'the').
To search by author, select the Author tab, then type in the author's last name, then first name, e.g. 'Johanson, Donald C.'.
Advanced Search is used to combine topics, select search fields, and use other limitors to narrow a search. You may want to search for an item using part of a title and selecting the title field from the drop down menu. Another option is to search by ISBN.
To search by keyword, type in the words you want to search for then select from the menu whether you want to search for all of these, any of these (e.g., Somalia OR Tanzania), or as a phrase (e.g., australopithecus afarensis).
Examples of combined searches:
Search for: human evolution [
Search for: africa [
Basically, there are two kinds of reference books: general resources, which are broad in scope and deal with all fields; and specialized resources, which deal with specific disciplines such as physical anthropology. The titles cited below are only a representative sample of many specialized reference books that are available in the library.
- American Heritage Science Dictionary REF 503 A 2
- McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms REF 503 M 1-8
- Cambridge Encyclopedia of Human Evolution REF 599.938 C 3
- Encyclopedia of Anthropology REF 306.03 E 3 (5 vols)
- Encyclopedia of Human Evolution and Prehistory REF 599.938 E 1
- Encyclopedia of Prehistory REF 550 L 4
- Oryx Guide to Natural History REF 508 B 4
Handbooks & Atlases
- Atlas of the Prehistoric World REF 560.2 P 1
- Earth & Man: a Rand McNally World Atlas REF 912 R 2-16
- Historical Atlas of Africa REF 911.6 H 1
- Rocks & Fossils: a Visual Guide REF 552 C 5
Thousands of journal, magazine, and newspaper articles covering all disciplines.
Includes scholarly journal articles.
- use MORE SEARCH OPTIONS to remove book review
- use AND to combine topics
- use quotation marks for a phrase (example: "natural selection")
- Project Muse Full text scholarly journal articles covering the humanities, and social sciences
- Science Full Text Select (H.W. Wilson Database) Full text science database that covers approximately 320 journals in a broad range of science topics. Includes scholarly journal articles.
- Encyclopedia Britannica Online The complete Encyclopedia Britannica with related web links.
To browse or search to see if the Library has a subscription to a particular magazine, newspaper, or journal title use the Periodical Title List. (http://dv2dw2vb3l.search.serialssolutions.com/)[Top of Page]
Finding reliable information on the web can be difficult.
Use the ipl2 site http://www.ipl.org/index.html or see recommended websites below.
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- Internet Resources for Physical Anthropology (U. Delaware Library) http://www2.lib.udel.edu/subj/anth/phys/internet.htm
- Infomine: Scholarly Internet Resource Collections:
last updated: 07/20/2011 by L. Tirapelle, K. Goguen, P. Johnson revision #3