Gary Panter : PCC Artist in Residence 2010
In 1987, Pasadena City College launched an ambitious program to bring prominent artists for a weeklong stay on campus, where the artists interact closely with students, faculty, and the community. PCC is delighted to welcome the celebrated artist, illustrator, designer and comics creator Gary Panter as artist-in-residence for 2010. Sometimes known as the "king of punk art," Panter's "ratty line" style of drawing created signature images associated with the first flowering of punk rock in the 1970s. In the 1980s, he won three Emmy awards in his capacity as head set designer for the television program "Pee Wee's Playhouse." As one of the most influential illustrators and graphic designers of his generation, Panter received the Chrysler Design Award in 2000. A major innovator in the world of art comics, Panter was one of the four living artists featured in the landmark "Masters of American Comics" exhibition that spanned both the Museum of Contemporary Art and the Hammer Museum in Los Angeles 2005.
In addition to presenting an exhibition in the PCC gallery, Gary Panter will spend the week of March 15th through 19th on campus, during which time he will work closely with PCC students and faculty, produce work on site and present a public lecture.
- Panter, Gary. Gary Panter. 2010. Web. 25 Feb. 2010. <http://www.garypanter.com/>.
- Collins, Sean T.
"Approaching Omega: Gary Panter Q & A."
Marvel. 14 Mar. 2008. Marvel Comics. Web. 25 Feb. 2010. <http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.2898.approaching_omega~colon~_gary_panter_q&a>.
- "Gary Panter: Finding a Way Around Picasso." For Your Art. 11 Feb 2010. Web. 3 Mar. 2010. <http://losangeles.foryourart.com/?s=know&item=295>
- Kramer, David Jacob. "Gary Panter". The Believer. June 2009. Web. 3 Mar. 2010. <http://www.believermag.com/issues/200906/?read=interview_panter>
- Priddy, Joel. "Jimbo in Purgatory by Gary Panter." NACAE Study Guides. National Association of Comic Art Editors. nd. Web. 3 Mar. 2010. <http://www.teachingcomics.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=78:Jimbo%20in%20Purgatory%20by%20Gary%20Panter&catid=38:Study%20Guides&Itemid=59>
To access the articles below you can click on the words 'Full text' to link directly to each article within the given databases. Off campus access to Library subscription databases is available to PCC Students, Staff and Faculty with a current PCC Network ID and Password (PIN). Public Patrons may access these databases from public computer stations located inside the library building.
- Kartalopolous, Bill. "Planter's Playhouse." Print Dec. 2008: 272. ProQuest. (Full text-PDF)
- Odom, Michael. "Gary Panter." Artforum Apr 2005: 193. ProQuest. (Full text)
- Panter, Gary. "Skyline Views." New York Times Magazine 12 May 2002: 72. ProQuest. (Full text-PDF)
- Carlin, John, et al. Masters of American Comics. Los Angeles: Hammer Museum, 2005. Location: Faculty Reserve (Artist in Residence). Ask at the Circulation Desk. [Includes a chapter on Gary Panter.]
- Panter, Gary. Cola Madness. New York: Funny Garbage Press, 2008. Location: Faculty Reserve (Artist in Residence). Ask at the Circulation Desk.
- Panter, Gary. Gary Panter. Brooklyn, NY: PictureBox, 2008. Location: Faculty Reserve (Artist in Residence). Ask at the Circulation Desk.
- Panter, Gary. Jimbo: Adventures in Paradise. New York: Pantheon, 1988. Location: Faculty Reserve (Artist in Residence). Ask at the Circulation Desk.
- Panter, Gary. Jimbo's Inferno. Seattle, WA: Fantagraphics, 2006. Location: Faculty Reserve (Artist in Residence). Ask at the Circulation Desk.
compiled by P. Johnson 3/2010