Scholars Block (eng1a)
The library catalog is a database of books, media, pamphlets and course reserves located in the library's collection. To find resources in the library by subject, you will need a call number which is based on the Dewey Decimal or Library of Congress Classification System and leads you to the specific item on the shelf. To find the call number, use the library catalog. (http://library.pasadena.edu/vwebv/searchBasic)
Use the Basic Search to look for an item using keyword anywhere or in a specific field (eg. title field or subject field).
To find information about a person, use Basic Search within Subject Browse (select from the drop down menu).
To find information on a topic, you can use your keyword search results to identify library subject headings or you can select the Subject tab and type in a library subject heading.
To search for a title you have two options: 1. select title from the drop down menu (to search by title keyword) or 2. select title browse from the drop down menu, to search by exact title wording. (Skip the first word of the title if it is an article, e.g. 'a', 'an' or 'the').
To search by author, select the Author tab, then type in the author's last name, first name, e.g. 'Frost, Robert'.
- To access databases from the main library page, look for Browse Databases by Name | by Subject (http://www.pasadena.edu/library/dbsubject.htm)
- Proquest Thousands of journal, magazine, and newspaper articles covering all disciplines.
Includes scholarly journal articles.
Advanced Search Example: Burbank AND (problem or controversy) AND "Los Angeles Times" (search within publication title). Other publications to search: Pasadena Star News, Daily News, Los Angeles. Other keywords for problem or controversy: issue, dispute, hazard.
- SIRS Knowledge Source Articles from popular magazines, newspapers and U.S. government publications. Hint: Try both a Subject Headings search (default) and a keyword/natural language search to find relevant articles.
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context Articles about social issues. Includes opinion articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, and full-text periodical articles from magazines and newspapers.
Local Newspaper Websites
El Sereno – The Voice http://www.thevoicepub.com/
La Canada Outlook http://www.lacanadaoutlook.com/
La Canada Valley Sun http://lacanadaonline.com/
LA Daily News http://www.dailynews.com/
Los Angeles Downtown News http://www.ladowntownnews.com/
Pasadena Star-News http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/ (not all articles are in ProQuest)
Pasadena Weekly http://www/pasadenaweekly.com/
South Pasadena Review http://www.southpasadenareview.com/
Local Government Websites
- Altadena Town Council http://www.altadenatowncouncil.org/
- El Sereno (neighborhood in City of Los Angeles): LA-32 Neighborhood Council http://www.allncs.org/searchresults3.asp?nc=48
- Griffith Park (neighborhood in City of Los Angeles): Greater Griffith Park Neighborhood Council http://www.ggpnc.org/
- La Canada Flintridge http://www.lacanadaflintridge.com/
- Los Angeles – The Downtown Los Angeles Neighborhood Council appears to have restricted access. Blog: http://dlanc.wordpress.com/
- Pasadena http://www.cityofpasadena.net/
- South Pasadena http://www.ci.south-pasadena.ca.us/
last updated: 07/08/2011 by D. Potter revision #2