The library catalog is a database of books, media and course reserves located in the library's collection. To find resources in the library by subject, you will need a call number which is based on the Dewey Decimal or Library of Congress Classification System and leads you to the specific item on the shelf. To find the call number, use the library catalog. (http://library.pasadena.edu/vwebv/searchBasic)
Use the Basic Search to look for an item using keyword anywhere or in a specific field (eg. title field or subject field).
To find information about a person, use Basic Search within Subject Browse (select from the drop down menu).
To find information on a topic, you can use your keyword search results to identify library subject headings or you can select the Subject tab and type in a library subject heading.
Related subjects (broader, narrower and see also)
To search for a title you have two options: 1. select title from the drop down menu (to search by title keyword) or 2. select title browse from the drop down menu, to search by exact title wording. (Skip the first word of the title if it is an article, e.g. 'a', 'an' or 'the').
To search by author, select the Author tab then type in the author's last name, then first name, e.g. 'Dietz, Ellen Roberta'.
Advanced Search is used to combine topics, select search fields, and use other limitors to narrow a search. You may want to search for an item using part of a title and selecting the title field from the drop down menu. Another option is to search by ISBN.
To search by keyword, type in the words you want to search for then select from the menu whether you want to search for all of these, any of these (e.g., RNA or ribonucleic acid), or as a phrase (e.g., chemical elements).
Search for: Dental Dentistry
Search for: Dental care [
Basically, there are two kinds of reference books: general resources, which are broad in scope and deal with all fields; and specialized resources, which deal with specific disciplines such as the Dental Health field. The titles cited below are only a representative sample of many specialized reference books that are available in the library.
- Black's Medical Dictionary REF 610.3 B 2
- Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary REF 610.3 D 1-4
- Melloni's Illustrated Medical Dictionary REF 610.3 D 2
- Miller-Keane Encyclopedia & Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing & Allied Health REF 610.3 M 1-2
- Mosby's Medical Dictionary REF 610.3 M 3
- Mosby's Medical, Nursing and Allied Health Dictionary REF 610.3 M 3
- Stedman's Medical Dictionary REF 610.3 S 1-3
- Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary REF 610.3 T 1
- Encyclopedia of Human Biology REF 612.003 E 1
- Gale Encyclopedia of Nursing and Allied Health REF 610.3 G 1
- Magill’s Medical Guide REF 610.3 M 4
Almanacs and Yearbooks
- Statistical Abstract of the United States REF 317.3 U 1
- Statistical Record of Health and Medicine REF 614.0973 S 1
- World Almanac REF 310 W 1
Handbooks, Manuals, Directories
- Drug Information Handbook for Dentistry REF 617.6 D 14
- Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy REF 615 M 1
- Occupational Outlook Handbook REF 371.425 O 1 (most current at the Reference desk)
- Proquest: a database of periodical articles, to find allied health professional journals. As with the catalog, search under a variety of terms. Use Proquest also for access to the LA Times, USA Today and New York Times.
- ProQuest Nursing and Allied Health Source:includes more than 250 full-text articles from journals in nursing and allied health. Includes scholarly journal articles.
- Encyclopedia Britannica Online: especially helpful for locating links to specialized resources in a specific discipline.
- Periodical Title List: locate journals by title, keyword or subject category. This listing will help you locate periodicals which the Shatford Library provides access to in a variety of formats (paper, microform, database access or e-journal links).
Medline Plus http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/
Pub Med http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/
AGD - Academy of General Dentistry http://www.agd.org/
American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry http://www.aapd.org/
American Association of Endodontists http://www.aae.org/
American Association of Orthodontists http://www.braces.org/
American College of Prosthodontists http://www.prosthodontics.org/
American Dental Assistants Association http://www.dentalassistant.org/
American Dental Association http://www.ada.org/
American Dental Education Association http://www.adea.org/Pages/default.aspx
American Dental Hygienists' Association http://www.adha.org/
California Dental Association http://www.cda.org/
California Dental Hygiene Association http://www.cdha.org/
CDC Oral Health Resources http://www.cdc.gov/OralHealth/
Dentalcare.com (Proctor & Gamble) http://www.dentalcare.com/
Dental Hygiene Education - Margaret J. Fehrenbach, RDH MS http://www.dhed.net/Main.html
DHNet National Center for Dental Hygiene Research http://www.usc.edu/hsc/dental/dhnet/
Dental Resources http://www.dental-resources.com/
Discovery Health http://health.discovery.com/
FDI World Dental Federation http://www.fdiworldental.org/home/home.html
Hardin MD Oral Diseases/Dental Hygiene http://hardinmd.lib.uiowa.edu/dent.html
Hispanic Dental Association http://www.hdassoc.org/
HRSA Information Center http://www.ask.hrsa.gov/
International Association for Dental Research http://www.iadr.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3533
Martindale's - the "Virtual" Dental Center http://www.martindalecenter.com/Dental.html
National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIH) http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/
last updated: 07/11/2011 by P.Johnson revision #4