Lights! Camera! Action! Finding Movie Reviews
- Film Genre Studies
- Use the library catalog to check for books on film genres
Examples: subject search: horror
Or subject search: film noir
Or check these titles:
Check subject index under name of genre or subject, e.g. “Gangsters.”
REF 791.437 M 3 Magill's Survey of Cinema, 1927-
REF 791.437 M 3-5 Magill's Cinema Annual (Check subject Index)
[Top of Page]
When was the movie released? To find a movie review you need to know the release date. Check these sources by movie title to find out when the movie was released.
REF 791.4303 H 1-2 Halliwell's Film, Video & DVD Guide
REF 791.437 M 3 Magill's Survey of Cinema (includes films from 1902-1981)
REF 791.437 M 3-5 Magill's Cinema Annual 1981-present
Check these sources to read complete reviews:
REF 791.4375 V 3 Variety's Film Reviews -present Cumulative title index to Vols. 1-15 ( 1907-1980) in Vol. 16 Each annual volume indexed separately thereafter.
REF 791.437 N 1 New York Times Film Review 1913-2000 Facsimile reprints of the reviews printed in the New York Times . Look for index in “Appendix volume” and at end of each volume beginning 1969-70.
REF 791.4303 N 1 The Motion Picture Guide (1927-1999) Signed reviews by editorial staff of the Guide.
For print reviews of movies released before 1986: use the sources below to find article citations, then look in 2nd floor periodical stacks, 3rd floor bound periodicals or 1st floor microfilm cabinets.
REF 016.05 R 1-2 Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature (1900-present)
An index to popular magazines and the New York Times newspaper in print format.
Movie titles under subject heading: “Moving picture plays-Criticism, plots, etc." or 1977- movie titles under “Motion picture reviews-Single work.”
REF 791.43016 F2 Film Review Index [1882-1985].
Provides citations to sources where films are reviewed.
REF 791.437 M 3 Magill's Survey of Cinema 1902-present
This series is best for plot summaries but it also includes citations to movie reviews in other sources.
Use these reference books to identify Oscar and other award winners:
REF 791.4303 H 1-2 Halliwell's: the Movies That Matter
Covers films released between 1927-2008. Use the list “Academy Award Winners” at the end of the guide.
REF 791.43079 O 2 Movie Awards: the Ultimate, Unofficial Guide to the Oscars, Golden Globes, Critics, Guide & Indie Honors
Covers films released from 1927-1999.
[Top of Page]
- Use Proquest, a database of periodical articles, to find movie reviews from the Los Angeles Times, Time, etc. for films released after 1986. Search a film title such as "Apocolypse Now" (place quotation marks around the title) or use Advanced search and select Document type: Review (page down to see this limit feature)
Finding reliable information on the web can be difficult.
Use the ipl2 site www.ipl.org or see recommended websites below.
- MRQE: Movie Review Query Engine
- http://www.mrqe.com Covers films from early 1900s-present. Links to external film reviews (opens new browser window.)
- IMDb: Internet Movie Database
- http://wwww.us.imdb.com Covers films from the early 1900s -present. Plot summaries, cast overview, viewer comments, genre links. Search for film title, select "external reviews" (left menu).
- Academy Award Winners
- www.filmsite.org/oscars.html Covers films released from 1927-present. Shows Oscar winners by decade and specific year (not searchable by movie title or Oscar category).
- Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
- www.oscars.org A database of all the Academy Awards ever given. Covers films from 1927-present. Search by movie title, nominee, award category, song title or award year(s).
last updated: 07/15/2011 by P. Johnson revision #4