The Library Catalog is a database of books, media and course reserves located in the library's collection. To find resources in the library by subject, you will need a call number which is based on the Dewey Decimal or Library of Congress Classification System and leads you to the specific item on the shelf. To find the call number, use the library catalog. (http://library.pasadena.edu/vwebv/searchBasic)
Use the Basic Search to look for an item using keyword anywhere or in a specific field (eg. title field or subject field).
To find information about a person, use Basic Search within Subject Browse (select from the drop down menu).
To find information on a topic, you can use your keyword search results to identify library subject headings or you can select the Subject tab and type in a library subject heading.
Related subjects (Narrower, Broader and See also)
To search for a title you have two options: 1. select title from the drop down menu (to search by title keyword) or 2. select title browse from the drop down menu, to search by exact title wording. (Skip the first word of the title if it is an article, e.g. 'a', 'an' or 'the').
To search by author, select the Author tab, then type in the author's last name, first name, e.g. 'Mitacek, Michael'.
Advanced Search is used to combine topics, select search fields, and use other limitors to narrow a search. You may want to search for an item using part of a title and selecting the title field from the drop down menu. Another option is to search by ISBN.
Examples of combined searches:
Search for: music [
Search for: voice vocal sing* [
Basically, there are two kinds of reference books: general resources, which are broad in scope and deal with all fields; and specialized resources, which deal with specific disciplines such as music. The titles cited below are only a representative sample of many specialized reference books that are available in the library.
Specialized Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians REF 780.3 G 1-5
- Baker's Biographical Dictionary of Musicians REF 780.922 B 6
- Garland Encyclopedia of World Music REF 780.9 G 5
- Harvard Concise Dictionary of Music REF 780.3 R 1
- Oxford Dictionary of Music REF 780.3 O 2-2
Career and College Resources
- Career Opportunities in the Music Industry REF 371.42578 F 1
- Peterson's College Guide for Performing Arts Majors REF 378.73 P 16-2
- The New York Philharmonic Guide to the Symphony REF 784.2015 N 1
- A Modern Guide to Symphonic Music REF 785.2015 F 1
- Use Proquest, a database of periodical articles, to find concert reviews and articles about music and musicians. As with the catalog, search under a variety of terms. Use Proquest also for access to the LA Times, USA Today and New York Times.
- Oxford Music Online Reference resource for all aspects of music.
- Classical Music Library is the world's largest multi-label database of Classical music recordings for libraries. It consists of over 50,000 tracks for listening and searching and is supplemented by extensive reference materials.
- Use Biography Resource Center to find information on composers and performers. You may also do a custom search and select biographies by occupation, e.g. Composer.
- Encyclopedia Britannica Online will also provide biographical information, as well as explanations of musical terms and historical topics.
To browse or search to see if the library has a subscription to a particular magazine, newspaper, or journal title use the Periodical Title List. (http://dv2dw2vb3l.search.serialssolutions.com/)
Finding reliable information on the web can be difficult.
Use the Internet Public Library (ipl2 - Music section) (http://www.ipl.org/IPLBrowse/GetSubject?vid=13&cid=1&tid=6751&parent=6936)
or see recommended websites below.
Classical Net http://www.classical.net/
Ethnomusicology, Folk Music and World Music (University of Washington) http://guides.lib.washington.edu/ethnomusicology
Musical America http://musicalamerica.com/
Recommended Online Resources from the PCC Music Department http://www.pasadena.edu/divisions/performing-comm/music/resources/online.cfm
last updated: 07/15/2011 by P. Johnson revision #4