News: Pasadena City College Celebrates African-American History this February
In recognition of African-American History Month, Pasadena City College has planned an ambitious calendar of events throughout the month of February. The events, which are free and open to the public, are a collaboration between various administrative offices, as well as student organizations and programs, including the Office of the President/Superintendent, Office of the Senior Vice President/Assistant Superintendent, Student and Learning Services, Ujima Program, PCC Cross Cultural Center, Associated Students Cultural Diversity, ROPE Transfer Program, Black Student Alliance, College Diversity Initiative, President’s African American Advisory Committee, The Association of Black Employees, PCC Lady Lancers, and the Office of Student Affairs.
The schedule of events includes:
• Feb. 6: Lady Lancers Basketball “Ujima Night” (Gym 220) at 5 p.m.
• Feb. 7: Kabasa African Drummers (Quad) at noon
• Feb. 11 to 14: African Market Place (Quad) at noon
• Feb. 13: Conversation with Multi-Media Artist Charles McNulty (V106) at noon
• Feb. 14: Geminelle Rollins Performance (Quad) at noon
• Feb. 14: Lecture “Hairspray” (Creveling Lounge at noon
• Feb. 15: Lady Lancers Basketball “Coaches vs. Cancer” (Gym 220) at 5 p.m.
• Feb. 19: Ujima vs. Faculty Basketball Game (Gym 220) at 7 p.m.
• Feb. 20: “Food for the Soul” Forum and Jubilee (Circadian) at 5 p.m.
• Feb. 21: Scholar-in Residence Connie Rice (Creveling Lounge), Faculty Round Table at 10 a.m. and lecture at noon
• Feb. 21: Gospel Choir (Quad) at noon
• Feb. 21: Jazz Antiqua Evening Performance (Harbeson Hall) at 6 p.m.
• Feb. 22: CAAM Field Trip (Cross Cultural Center)
• Feb. 22: “Hairspray” Opening Night (Sexson Auditorium) at 8 p.m.
• Feb. 25: African American Town Hall (Creveling Lounge) from 6 to 8 p.m.
• Feb. 26: Civil Rights Acknowledgment (Creveling Lounge) from 5 to 8 p.m.
• Feb. 26: Family Reunion (Circadian) at noon
• Feb. 26: Poet Wyann Vaughn (Quad) at noon
• Feb. 28: Discussion with a filmmaker (Creveling Lounge) at noon
• Feb. 28: Closing Ceremony “Honoring the Ancestors” (Galloway Plaza) at noon
For more information, contact Beverly Tate at (626) 585-7653 or Gena Lopez at (626) 585-7255.
Release Date: 01/25/2013
Contact: Juan F. Gutierrez , Director, Public Relations
Phone: (626) 585-7315