Pi Day Student Conference 2016
Thursday, March 24, 2016
This is a "For Students, By Students" event. The goal is to promote the ownership of your math learning, to encourage you to talk about mathematics, to share your joy of learning mathematics, to develop better attitudes and mindsets needed to learn mathematics, to discover ways of overcoming difficulties or anxiety in learning mathematics, to connect mathematics with real-life applications, and to celebrate and share your victories in understanding math concepts.
As a way to showcase your hard work this semester, you will present a poster based on your research at the Pi Day Student Conference, on Thursday, March 24, 2016. The conference will begin at 11:30 a.m. and will end at 2:00 p.m. Additionally, there may be a keynote speaker and/or a panel of experts from 4:00 - 5:30 p.m. discussing topics related to mathematics applications.
You will work in groups of 2 - 4 people to create a poster showcasing your research on a topic related to your mathematics or science course. It is recommended that each poster include the following components:
1. Project topic: Any topic related to Mathematics and life
2. Principles applied to the topic
3. Short demonstration or description in words
4. Geometric interpretation if appropriate
6. Other applications (optional)
* Please print out the 2016 Pi Poster Label from https://canvas.pasadena.edu/courses/1040071 fill in the instructor's and participants' full names and contact information (email address and/or phone number), and tape it to the back of the poster.
Every poster-participating student and instructor will receive a certificate in the award ceremony, receive one raffle ticket and will be entered for a chance to win an iPad Mini.
Every instructor and student that actively particpates in the Pi Day Student Conference (by turning in a learning survey) will be entered for a chance to win a gift card.
Participate in the T-Shirt Design Contest to win a gift certificate up to $100 !
The Theme for Pi Day T-Shirt 2016: "Yes, I can do Math!"
T-Shirt Design submission: Due by January 31, 2016
For Ideas and Topics Please Visit:
Pi Day Student Conference Suggested Timeline for Spring 2016
- 1st - 3rd week: Form student groups & explore topics. Register on Canvas
- 5th - 7th week: Submit the first draft (A half page summary of each group's project will be submitted. Your progress will be checked by your instructor.) Pick up blank posters by a representative assigned by the instructor from C-129.
- 7th - 8th week: Complete the posters, media-posters or projects. Submit e-posters/pictures on Canvas.
- Spring Break week: Some classes may use this time to complete theri posters.
- 9th week: Present posters in your own class.
- 10th week (3/21 - 3/23) week: Pi Club will collect posters.
- 3/24: Pi Day Student Conference in the Quad, 11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Award Ceremony and Distinguished Speaker(s) in R-122, 4:00 - 5:30 p.m.