Pasadena City College, Home of the PCC Lancers

About Financial Aid

title frame from movieView the movie "Student Success".

Financial Aid Information

Financial aid for PCC students is available from federal, state, local, and institutional programs in the form of scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study to assist students in meeting some but not all of the cost associated with attending Pasadena City College.

Financial aid awards are based on demonstrated financial need, which is the difference between the family's expected contribution plus the student's own resources, and the allowable educational expenses.

Scholarships are based on merit or a combination of need and merit. The Pasadena City College President's Awards and Honors at Entrance; these are competitive scholarship are awarded to outstanding high school seniors. Scholarship awards range from $100 - $1000.

Handbooks with information regarding financial assistance may be obtained at the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid. Below is a brief description of the various sources of aid that are available to students.


(see more videos about getting financial aid)

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available at the Financial Aid office beginning in January for the next academic year. Students may also apply online at Priority deadlines are generally in May for the fall and spring semesters. These are the dates by which all required forms and documents must be submitted to the Financial Aid office .

The Cal Grant deadline for the Entitlement Grant is March 2nd. The Competitive Grant deadline is September 2. To receive consideration, a supplemental GPA Verification and a processed FAFSA are required by the deadline date.


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) requires the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid at Pasadena City College (PCC) to release detailed information to the student only.

Eligibility and Programs

Although the college makes every effort to meet as much of each student's need as possible, students should not expect to have 100% of their need met through financial aid funds. Students and their parents (if applicable) are expected to contribute toward educational expenses first.

Grants are available for students whose resources do not meet the costs of attending the college. Students may be awarded grants such as: Federal Pell, Cal Grants B or C, EOP&S, or Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) .

Federal Work-Study provides on- and off-campus jobs at competitive payrates to eligible students.

Loans such as Perkins, Nursing, or Federal Direct are available to students in various amounts. Students must meet the specific criteria for each of the loan programs.

Board of Governors Grants (Fee Waivers) to cover enrollment and health fees are available to students who are California residents, regardless of the number of units in which they are enrolled. A fee waiver is included with a processed FAFSA.

You are eligible for the fee waiver if you are a California resident and meet the state's criteria for eligibility. Students who apply early for a fee waiver will avoid long lines at the Financial Aid office. It is recommended that you apply for feewaver before you register. The application form is available at the Financial Aid office or online at the PCC website.

Honors at Entrance Scholarships are awarded to eligible entering students with a 3.5 or higher grade-point average (GPA ). Scholarships from college and private sources are advertised weekly in the Campus Crier.

The Pasadena City College General Scholarships are competitive scholarships to eligible, currently enrolled students and for those planning to transfer to four-year institutions. Scholarship opportunities are also listed in the Campus Crier and the PCC website.

Short-term and Emergency Loans are 30-day loans, subject to availability, for books or other special needs throughout the year. Book loans are 30-day loans, subject to avaliability, prior to the beginning of each semester. Please see the Financial Aid office for dates and details.

The Bureau of Indian Affairs awards grants to needy students who possess at least 25 percent American Indian, Eskimo, or Aleut blood as recognized by a tribal group.

Veteran's Benefits provide aid for veterans and their dependents. Veterans should contact the Department of Veteran's Services for details.

For additional financial aid information, please come to the Financial Aid office, or call (626) 585-7401.


Student Academic Progress Codes


You are meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards. Great Job! Keep up the good work!


NOTE: You are in  danger of loosing your financial aid eligibility. You will receive student financial aid funds during the warning period provided your eligibility and enrollment status is unchanged.

The school assigns this status to a student who is failing to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). The school reinstates eligibility for aid for one payment period and may do so without a student appeal. SAP is reviewed at the end of each term. If a student fails to meet SAP standards after the term they are in a warning status the student is "Disqualified" for the following term.


Disqualification occurs when a student who as been placed on "Warning" fails to make SAP. When Disqualified, you lose your financial aid eligibility due to not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards.

150MAX/Prior Degree

A student will placed in 150MAX/Prior Degree status if they have:

1. Earned a prior degree ( A.A., A.S., or a B.A. or higher degree)

2. Completed a Certificate Program or Exceeded the Time Frame of the Certificate Program (Ex. 18 units x 150% = 27 units Attempted)

3. Attempted more than 90 units

When in 150MAX/Prior Degree status you are no longer eligible for financial aid.


In order to be reconsidered for Financial Aid you may submit an Appeal to the Office of Financial Aid. 

The Appeal must include the following:

1. Documentation to support exceptional circumstances beyond your control. (See below for examples of exceptional circumstances)

2. A statement explaining what exceptional circumstances prevented you from reaching your educational goal, how the exceptional circumstance has been resolved, and how long it will take you to complete that goal.

3. Your most recent Student Educational Plan which documents the length of time remaining in completing your educational goal at PCC.

The Appeal committee will use regulatory guidelines set by the Department of Education and institutional policy to review Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements to determine a student’s eligibility for Student Financial Aid (SFA).

Exceptional Circumstance Examples:

1. Medical – Hospitalization, pregnancy, medical conditions, or a death in the family (immediate family members only)

2. Divorce, military service, loss of job/home


A student is assigned financial aid probation when a student who is failing to make satisfactory academic progress and who successfully appeals. Eligibility for aid may be reinstated.


You are no longer eligible for Financial Aid at PCC.

If you would like to learn more about the SAP process please you may view PCC's Policies and Procedures or check out the Frequently Asked Questions on the Financial Aid main page.