STARS: Scholars Transitioning and Realizing Success
The STARS Program at PCC is a comprehensive support program with two locations to support the educational goals of current and former foster youth.
Pasadena City College
Main Campus -- 1570 E. Colorado Blvd. Pasadena, CA 91106, L114
Contact the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid at (626) 585-7401 and ask for STARS staff
Community Education Center (CEC)
CEC Campus: 3035 E. Foothill Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91107
Theresa Reed (626) 585-3037
Also, see the STARS CEC web site for more information.
The STARS Program at Pasadena City College (PCC)
STARS at Pasadena City College is a comprehensive program designed to assist former foster youth to successfully transition from care to college. Our goal is to support and empower youth in achieving academic success, and a measure of self-sufficiency.
Services Provided - Academic Support
- One-on-one financial aid assistance including help completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and Chafee Grant applications
- Assistance for incoming students with the PCC application process
- General academic advising and connection to college support service programs (i.e., Counseling, EOPS, PASS, etc.) for more specialized support
- One-on-one life skills and crisis management advising
The STARS Program at Community Education Center (CEC)
This program provides quality education and support so that caregivers may meet educational, emotional, behavioral and developmental needs of children, and for youth to be more self-sufficient. The program provides preparation for foster adoptive and kinship care providers
- Transitional Youth -- Youth transitioning to college (18-24) with needs of housing and ILP information
- Foster and Kinship Care Education (FKCE)
- Independent Living Program YESS-LA-Youth Empowerment Strategies for Success
- Permanence & Safety -- Model Approaches to Partnership in Parenting (PS-MAPP)