Pasadena City College, Home of the PCC Lancers

General Information and Conditions of Financial Aid

Financial Aid Notification

(see more videos about getting financial aid)

An e-mail will be sent to you requesting you to log into your self-service LancerPoint account. For this reason you must be sure that your e-mail address is current. You may also use the 'Online Financial Aid Status View' option to access your LancerPoint. You will be asked to do an electronic "sign-off" on Terms & Conditions after which you will have access to your financial award amounts. You can find the Terms & Conditions as follows:

  1. Start at
  2. Click on the large LancerPoint login logo
  3. Now click on LancerPoint login on the right
  4. Click the Tuition & Aid tab
  5. Click Award Overview on the right (this opens a new tab)
The California State funded Board of Governor's Fee Waiver (BOG) is not part of an awards package and will not show up in your award.

The financial aid awards are subject to the availability of federal and state funds, your enrollment status at Pasadena City College (PCC) and your meeting all financial aid eligibility criteria. It is very important to report any changes in your status such as a name or address change. Also, you are required to notify the Office of Financial Aid if you have a change in your state residency status. If you change your status from "non-resident" to "California resident" or receive other types of financial assistance such as Veteran's Benefits, Vocational Rehabilitation Program Assistance or scholarships, you must notify the Office of Financial Aid immediately. If you received a Federal Work Study offer, contact the Office of Financial Aid to request job placement within 2 weeks of receiving the notifciation. Funds are limited! To accept a Nursing Loan offer, you must complete Nursing Entrance Counseling and sign a promissory note.

Preliminary Awards

A preliminary award is an award that appears on your LancerPoint that you may be eligibile for. Preliminary awards may change due to verification, student academic progress standards, and/or enrollment , therefore you may not receive the award amount that was originally posted.

Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGW)

The Board of Governors Grant (BOGW) is a fee waiver program used to waive registration fees only. The BOGW is not disbursed to you.

Enrollment and Disbursement

An award assumes you have enrolled as a full-time student (12 units or more) in a degree, certificate or transfer educational goal at PCC. If you enroll or complete less than full-time, some of your awards will be adjusted (prorated) accordingly. That is, the amount you receive depends upon your enrollment (the number of units you are enrolled in) at the time of disbursement. Grades that will affect completed units are: F, NC, NP, W and I. If you add or drop units, your award/disbursement will be adjusted accordingly. The information below indicates how the payment is adjusted:

100%: enrollment in 12 or more units — 75%: 9-11.8 units — 50%: 6-8.8 units

Financial Aid Disbursement Process

  1. Disbursement is the process used to make funds available to you.
  2. A disbursement schedule is provided below to help you determine when funds will be available. The disbursement dates reflect the approximate week a check will be sent to you. Your financial aid funds, except for the Nursing loans, will be disbursed to you by mail. The Office of Financial Aid does not process or issue checks. All financial aid checks are handled by Student Business Services (B-203).
  3. Typically, students receive two (2) disbursements each term; one at the beginning of the term and the second at midpoint or later. If your award includes Cal Grant and/or Direct Loan, disbursement could occur 30 days after the start of the term. The Nursing loan checks are disbursed at Student Business Services (B-203). Awards are divided into equal payments per semester and generally, students receive a percentage at the beginning of the semester and the balance before the end of the semester.
  4. The amount you receive depends upon your enrollment (the number of units you are carrying) at the time of disbursement. If you add or drop units, your award/disbursement will be adjusted accordingly.
  5. If you stop attending or withdraw from your classes before you complete nine weeks or 60% of a term, you may be required to repay all or a portion of your federal aid. Dropping units can affect your aid eligibility. For information about Satisfactory Academic Progress, visit
  6. Checks returned as undeliverable will be cancelled. Cancelled checks will not be reissued automatically. To have your check reissued, submit a written request to the Office of Financial Aid. Make sure that your address on LancerPoint matches your current address.
  • What is a financial aid overpayment? An overpayment occurs when a student receives more financial aid than he/she was eligible for. Generally, overpayments are the result of changes in enrollment; e.g., full-time to half-time status or a complete withdraw from all classes. Overpayments can also occur when a student’s financial information changes or additional information such as academic transcripts are submitted after a grant or loan payment is made.
  • If you stop attending or withdraw from all of your classes before you complete 9 weeks or 60% of a term, you may be required to repay all or a portion of your federal aid. To avoid repayment, return or decline all funds received to Fiscal Services, C203 immediately. Dropping units can affect your future aid eligibility. For information about Satisfactory Academic Progress see the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards section below.
  • Checks returned undeliverable will be cancelled. Cancelled checks will NOT be reissued automatically! To have your check reissued, submit a written request to the Office of Financial Aid. If you do not receive your check within three weeks of the anticipated disbursement date, notify the Office of Financial Aid.

    2014-2015 Disbursement Schedule

    Anticipated disbursement dates will occur during the week of:
    Fall Semester 2014 Spring Semester 2015
    August 26 January 13
    September 9 January 20
    September 16 January  27
    September 23 February 3
    September 30 February 10
    October 7 February 24
    October 14 March 3
    October 21 March 10
    October 28 March 17
    November 4 March 24
    November 11 March 31
    November 18 April 7
    December 2 April 14
    December 9 April 21
    April 28
      May 5

    Summer 2015 Disbursement

    July 17

    July 31

    August 14

    Augut 28

    Important Announcement:  After the close of the academic year, we will no longer be able to process any financial aid.

    2015-2016 Fall and Srping Disbursement Schedule

    Fall                                             Spring

    Septemeber 11                        January 22

    September 25                          February 5

    October 2                                 February 11

    October 16                               February 26

    October 23                               March 4

    November 6                             March 18

    November 13                           April 1

    November 27                           April 15

    December 18                           April 29

                                                      May 13

    Summer 2016-TBA

    Return of Title IV

    The Financial Aid Office is required by federal statute to recalculate federal financial aid eligibility for students who withdraw, drop out, are dismissed, or take a leave of absence. The federal Title IV financial aid programs must be recalculated in these situations prior to completing 60% of a payment period or term. The Office of Financial Aid recommends that students planning to drop all of their classes contact the financial aid office for advisement before withdrawing from their courses.The federal student aid programs that are covered by this law are: Federal Pell Grant, Federal Subsidized Loans, PLUS Loan, and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

    If a student leaves the institution prior to completing 60% of a payment period or term, the financial aid office recalculates eligibility for Title IV funds. Recalculation is based on the percentage of earned aid using the following Federal Return of Title IV funds formula:

    Percentage of payment period or term completed = the number of days completed up to the withdrawal date divided by the total days in the payment period or term. (Any break of five days or more is not counted as part of the days in the term.)

    The amount of assistance that you have earned is determined on a prorated basis.

    For example, if you completed 30% (fifth week) of your payment/enrollment period, you earn 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. Once you have completed more than 60% of the payment period or period of enrollment, you earn all the assistance that you were scheduled to receive for that period.

    If you did not receive all of the funds that you earned, you may be due a post-withdrawal disbursement. If the post-withdrawal disbursement includes loan funds, you may choose to decline the loan funds so that you don't incur additional debt.

    If you did not attend the course(s) or unofficially withdraw, PCC will calculate the R2T4 at the midpoint (50%) of the payment period for which Title IV assistance was disbursed.

    PCC may use all or a portion of your post withdrawal disbursement (including loan funds, if you accept them) for tuition and fees. For all other school charges, such as short-term loans, PCC has received your permission on the Short-Term Loan promissory note to use the post-withdrawal disbursement to repay all or a portion of the loan.

    For example: If you are a first-time, first-year undergraduate student and you have not completed the first 30 days of your program before withdrawing, you will not have earned any Federal Direct Student Loan funds that you would have received had you remained enrolled past the 30th day.

    If you (or PCC or your parent [PLUS loan]) receive excess federal student aid program funds that must be returned, PCC must return a portion of the excess equal to the lesser of:

    1. your institutional (tuition and/or enrollment fees) charges multiplied by the unearned percentage of your funds, or
    2. the entire amount of excess funds.

    PCC must return this amount even if it didn't keep this amount of your federal student aid program funds.

    If PCC is not required to return all of the excess funds, you must return the remaining amount. Any loan funds that you must return, you (or your parent for a PLUS Loan) repay in accordance with the terms of the promissory note. That is, you make scheduled payments to the holder of the loan over a period of time.

    Any amount of unearned grant funds that you must return is called an overpayment. The amount of a grant overpayment that you must repay is half of the unearned amount. You must make arrangements with the PCC, Office of Fiscal Services or the Department of Education to return the unearned grant funds.

    The requirements for federal student aid program funds when you withdraw are separate from any refund policy that PCC may have. Therefore, you may still owe funds to PCC to cover unpaid institutional charges. PCC will also charge you for any federal student aid program funds that PCC is required to return. If you don't already know what PCC's refund policy is, please inquire at the Student Business Services Office, B-203). Please see the PCC, Schedule of Classes for requirements and procedures to officially withdraw.

    Student Guide to Federal Work-Study

    The information below is an answer guide for students who received a Federal Work-Study award from Pasadena City College.

    (see more videos about getting financial aid)

    How do I apply for the Work-Study Program?

    PCC participates in the Federal and state work-study programs. To apply you must complete the FAFSA form. Because these funds are limited, we recommend interested students apply for financial aid no later than March 2. If funds are available, you will receive a work-study offer up to the amount of your eligibility. Some jobs require a background check.

    What is Federal Work-Study?

    The Federal Work-Study Program provides jobs for PCC students with financial need, allowing them to earn money while they are in school. The program encourages community service and work related to your course of study.

    How do I qualify for Federal Work-Study at PCC?

    It's simple! All you do to apply for Federal Work-Study is complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and indicate your interest in Work Study. If you apply by March 2nd you may be considered for Federal Work-Study funds. Additional qualifications include: financial need, US Citizenship or eligible non-citizen (permanent resident), half-time; enrollment (6 units) satisfactory academic progress and you may not be in default on a student loan or owe a grant repayment. Funds are subject to availabiliity.

    How much will I make?
    Your Federal Work-Study wages will be at least the current federal minimum wage, but it may be higher, depending on the type of work you do and the skills required. At PCC, the minimum Federal Work-Study hourly wage is $9.00 per hour. The maximum hourly wage is $11.00 per hour. (off campus) Your total Federal Work-Study award depends on when you apply your level of need, and the funds available at PCC.
    How will I be paid?

    As a Federal Work-Study employee, you'll be paid by the hour. At PCC you are paid twice a month according to the Payroll Schedule. Students are paid directly by mail. Work-Study funds must be used to pay for your educational expenses; i.e., tuition, fees, room and board, transportation and other school-related expenses.

    Revised Payroll Schedule for Federal Work Study for Winter/Spring 2011-2012


    Are Federal Work-Study jobs on campus or off campus?
    Yes, the work-study jobs may be on or off-campus. If you work on campus, you can choose to work for a variety of PCC offices, departments or organizations. On-campus employment includes but is not limited to the Shatford Library, Engineering and Technology Department or the Office of Admissions and Records. If you work off-campus, your employer will usually be a private nonprofit organization or a public agency, and the work performed must be in the public interest. Each employer has a job description that explains the duties and the work schedule.
    Can I work as many hours as I want?

    No. Federal law says student workers are limited to 19 hours per week. However, the amount you earn can't exceed your total Federal Work-Study award. When determining work hours, you and your supervisor should create a work schedule based on your class schedule, total Work-Study Award and hourly pay rate.

    How do I obtain a Work-Study job?

    You can view on and off campus Work-Study job opportunities at the website below. After you find a job you are interested in, speak to the Work-Study coordinator at the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid (L-114). At this meeting, you will be given information to refer you to the employer. You cannot start work until you receive a signed referral from the work-study coordinator. Student employment is at the discretion of the work program supervisor.


    Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards

    (see more videos about getting financial aid)

    Financial aid is designed to help students reach their educational goal in a timely manner. Eligibility for federal or state financial aid requires students to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress regardless of academic major, or receipt of financial aid funds. Pasadena City College (PCC) students should read the rules and know what it takes to maintain eligibility for financial aid. Note that the financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress standards are stricter than the college's progress rules. There are three standards that the Office of Financial Aid will use. These standards are explained below.

    Cites: HEA Sec. 484(c), 34 CFR 668.16(e), 34 CFR 668.32(f), 34 CFR 668.34

    Quantitative or Pace

    You are expected to complete your educational goal in a timely manner and at a satisfactory pace even if you did not receive financial aid. All terms that you enrolled in at PCC and other colleges will be considered in the Satisfactory Academic Progress calculation. Repeating a course for a better grade will not satisfy academic progress requirements.

    Students are required to complete at least 67% of attempted units each term with acceptable grades - (A, B, C, D, CR, P, and RD). An attempted unit starts counting on the first day of instruction. Unacceptable grades are: W, F, I, NC and NP.


    To complete an educational goal in a timely manner, you must achieve a minimum 2.0 grade point average (GPA) at the end of each term. Example: a student takes one class in fall 2015. She/he is making progress if he/she has a 2.0 GPA at the end of fall 2015.

    Time Frame

    Financial aid is not infinite. This standard looks at how long it will take you to complete your educational goal. The law says that you can receive financial aid for no more than 150% of units attempted in a program.

    Example: A 2 year program is considered 150% which is 6 fulltime semesters or the equivalent. For certificate programs the 150% rule applies to the length of the program.

    Example: A certificate program that the published length of time is 30 units, the 150% time frame mark would be 45 units. This also includes all attempted and transfer units. Students with an AA/AS, BA/BS, or higher degree will automatically exceed the time frame. Up to 30 units of basic skills (400-level) courses are excluded from the 150%. However, students are expected to matriculate from basic skills to a regular program after one (equivalent) year.

    The Office of Financial Aid will determine how long you have been in an undergraduate program or certificate program as well as the time required to complete your goal. Each time a course is repeated, it will count in the time frame calculation.

    Example: At PCC, students will be notified that they have exceeded the time frame at 90 attempted units because normal matriculation time to complete an AA/AS degree goal is two years. However, if there are exceptional circumstances presented an appeal may be submitted.

    Starting in the 2014-2015 school year, the decision made by the Appeals Committee will be final and there will be no further appeal.


    You are meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards. Great Job! Keep up the good work!


    NOTE: You are in  danger of loosing your financial aid eligibility. You will receive student financial aid funds during the warning period provided your eligibility and enrollment status is unchanged.

    The school assigns this status to a student who is failing to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). The school reinstates eligibility for aid for one payment period and may do so without a student appeal. SAP is reviewed at the end of each term. If a student fails to meet SAP standards after the term they are in a warning status the student is "Disqualified" for the following term.


    Disqualification occurs when a student who as been placed on "Warning" fails to make SAP. When Disqualified, you lose your financial aid eligibility due to not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards.

    150MAX/Prior Degree

    A student will placed in 150MAX/Prior Degree status if they have:

    1. Earned a prior degree ( A.A., A.S., or a B.A. or higher degree)

    2. Completed a Certificate Program or Exceeded the Time Frame of the Certificate Program (Ex. 18 units x 150% = 27 units Attempted)

    3. Attempted more than 90 units

    When in 150MAX/Prior Degree status you are no longer eligible for financial aid.


    In order to be reconsidered for Financial Aid you may submit an Appeal to the Office of Financial Aid. 

    The Appeal must include the following:

    1. Documentation to support exceptional circumstances beyond your control. (See below for examples of exceptional circumstances)

    2. A statement explaining what exceptional circumstances prevented you from reaching your educational goal, how the exceptional circumstance has been resolved, and how long it will take you to complete that goal.

    3. Your most recent Student Educational Plan which documents the length of time remaining in completing your educational goal at PCC.

    The Appeal committee will use regulatory guidelines set by the Department of Education and institutional policy to review Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements to determine a student’s eligibility for Student Financial Aid (SFA).

    Exceptional Circumstance Examples:

    1. Medical – Hospitalization, pregnancy, medical conditions, or a death in the family (immediate family members only)

    2. Divorce, military service, loss of job/home


    A student is assigned financial aid probation when a student who is failing to make satisfactory academic progress and who successfully appeals. Eligibility for aid may be reinstated.


    You are no longer eligible for Financial Aid at PCC.

    If you would like to learn more about the SAP process please you may view PCC's Policies and Procedures or check out the Frequently Asked Questions on the Financial Aid main page.