Pasadena City College, Home of the PCC Lancers

Veterans - Continuing Students

Request Your Benefits Each Semester

Certification is not automatic, so make sure to complete the Request for Benefits form before the start of each semester. Continuing students who had the GI Bill® at PCC last semester:

Verify Attendance

Those receiving the Post-9/11 GI Bill® do not have to verify their attendance through WAVE. Your school certifying official is responsible for verifying your attendance with VA at the beginning of your term. You are responsible for ensuring that your school certifying official is aware of your enrollment, and any subsequent changes in your schedule.

Report Any Changes

Always contact the PCC Veterans' Affairs Office to report any change in your enrollment. Changes such as Add/Drop or Withdrawals, switching courses, etc. need to be reported immediately so that students do not end up owing money back to the VA.

Submit an Educational Plan to the Veterans' Affairs Office

A counselor approved educational plan must be obtained and filed in the VA Office before the beginning of the second semester benefits are requested. The educational plan is obtained from PCC Counseling only.

  • Call - for an appointment and state that you need a veteran's educational plan.
  • A new educational plan must be submitted to the Veterans' Affairs Office each year, or each time you change your major/degree objective.
  • You will receive a copy of the educational plan; it is imperative that you follow it and enroll only in courses required for your stated degree objective. Please bring our office a copy once you have one.
  • The educational plan must be specific and indicate each class you need to fulfill your degree objective (major, pre-requisites, general education requirements, and electives), taking into account all of the coursework you have already completed toward your degree objective. (This means that all transcripts should be received before the appointment is made.)

Be aware that the VA places restrictions on what courses you may be paid for. You can only be paid for classes that apply toward completion of your degree objective. A counselor's recommendation may not be payable under VA regulations, especially if the class is a "recommended" elective.

By law, students are also required to declare a major by their second semester. "Undeclared" or "general education" majors are not acceptable for VA purposes.

Renew Applications for FAFSA and other Financial Aid

Each year you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on-line to determine eligibility for financial aid programs ( The FASFA and the GI Bill® are completely separate programs, and one does not affect or determine the other.