Pasadena City College, Home of the PCC Lancers

Military Veterans - New Students

This page outlines the application steps for new PCC Military Veteran students who have never received GI Bill® Benefits.

Start the Application Process Early!

The earlier you do these important steps the better. The first 3 steps to starting your education with your GI Bill® Benefits are:

Apply for GI Bill® Benefits Apply to PCC Get Additional Financial Aid
Complete your application for GI Bill® Benefits
The Department of Veterans Affairs can take at least 45 days to approve your benefits and often will take longer. Follow detailed steps for your situation below.
Apply online as early as possible to Pasadena City College -
Apply during the application period (see academic calendar for dates). Look for your Permit to Register sent to the email you provide in the application. Print and save it.
Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on-line to determine eligibility for additional financial aid programs. The FASFA and the GI Bill® are completely separate programs, and one does not affect or determine the other.

Apply for GI Benefits details:

The Department of Veterans Affairs has an excellent step by step road map that you should review to help you determine your benefit eligibility, compare programs, calculate your benefit, collect your paperwork, and apply for VA benefits online.

  • Apply for yourself:
    • Apply online at VONAPP for VA Education Benefits (form 22-1990)
      Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill®) Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®, Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program), Chapter 1607(Reserve Educational Assistance Program)
    • Provide your discharge or eligibility papers:
      • Chapter 33,30 & 1607: Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD 214 form ) (Member 4 copy) for all periods of active duty service
      • Chapter 1606: Reservists must provide a copy of their Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)(DD 2384), issued from your military unit.
      • in one of the following ways :
        • Mail or Fax to the VA Regional Office in Muskogee, OK
        • Scan and upload to online application
  • Survivors & dependents apply:

Apply Online for Admission to PCC

Complete the online application for admission to PCC at You will need an email address, your previous education information and your social security number (optional). Be sure to indicate your veteran status. More information on the application for admissions is found at the admissions website.

Bring your documents in person to the PCC Veteran Certifying Official in Building L, Room 113

  • Your Certificate of Eligibility will be mailed to you. (If you have not received it, bring a copy of your Application for VA Educational Benefits)
  • Your discharge (DD214) or eligibility (NOBE) papers.
  • Signed PCC Veteran's Statement of Responsibility.
New Students Required Documents Checklist
  PCC Veteran's Statement of Responsibility Certificate of Eligibility or copy of VONAPP Copy of DD214 Copy of Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)
Chapter 33
Post 9/11 GI Bill®
Yes Yes Yes  
Chapter 30
Montgomery GI Bill®
Yes Yes Yes  
Chapter 31
Voc Rehab
PCC does not require documents - Apply through US Department of Veteran Affairs - Los Angeles Office 213-253-2677
Chapter 1606
Selective Reserve GI Bill®
Yes Yes   Yes
Chapter 1607
Yes Yes Yes  
Chapter 35
Survivors and Dependents
Yes Yes    

Follow the Steps to Register for Your Classes

Go to the steps to register link found on your Admissions Notice Permit to Register email. All new students must complete the following steps to attend classes at PCC:

  • Take Online Orientation to College for New Students
  • Take the Assessment/Placement tests for English and math
  • Attend a new student group counseling session. (TIP: Look for periodically scheduled group counseling sessions just for military veteran new students)
  • PCC offers priority (1st day) registration for all Veterans and members of the Military. Register for your classes online on the first day priority registration date. (Don't miss it!)

Request Transcripts

  • Request all education transcripts from:
    • All previously attended colleges
    • Military
    • Federal regulations require that Pasadena City College receive official, sealed transcripts from all schools, colleges, training institutions, and technical schools attended. (This includes all training and education received before entering active duty, as well as any received during service and after discharge - even if VA benefits were not paid for attending the course or program.)
  • Have official and sealed transcripts sent to:

    Records Office
    Pasadena City College,
    1570 E. Colorado Blvd.
    Pasadena, CA 91106

  • Follow-up with the Admissions Office in Building L, Room 113 to see if your transcripts have been received by PCC.

What else?

Apply for Additional Financial Aid

Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on-line to determine eligibility for additional financial aid programs. The FASFA and the GI Bill® are completely separate programs, and one does not affect or determine the other. Complete your FAFSA as early as possible, before funds run out.

Submit an Educational Plan to the Veterans' Services Office

A counselor approved educational plan must be obtained and filed in the VA Office before the beginning of the second semester. By law, students are also required to declare a major by their second semester. "Undeclared" or "general education" majors are not acceptable for VA purposes.

Choose a VA approved program of study. Listing at VA approved transfer programs are online at or use the Transfer Center Tool to explore transfer requirements to the 4-year schools most commonly selected by Pasadena City College students.

The educational plan is obtained from PCC Counseling only.
  • First semester you may participate in group counseling to determine recommended classes
  • During the first semester, make a 30 minute appointment with a counselor to create your educational master plan. (All transcripts should be received before the appointment is made.)
  • The educational plan must be specific and indicate each class you need to fulfill your degree objective (major, pre-requisites, general education requirements, and electives), taking into account all of the coursework you have already completed toward your degree objective.
  • You will receive a copy of the educational plan; you must follow it and enroll only in courses required for your stated degree objective.
  • A new educational plan must be submitted to the Veterans' Services Office if you change your major/degree objective.

Be aware that the VA places restrictions on what courses you may be paid for. You can only be paid for classes that apply toward completion of your degree objective. A class may not be payable under VA regulations, especially if the class is a "recommended" elective.

Request Your Benefits Each Semester

Certification is not automatic. To have your certification submitted to the VA, you must register for classes, complete the Request for Benefits form and contact the Veterans Certifying Agent in Admissions and Records, L113 before the start of each semester. See Current Students for more information.

Report Any Changes

Always contact the PCC Veterans' Services Office to report any change in your enrollment. Changes such as Add/Drop or Withdrawals, switching courses, etc. need to be reported immediately so that students do not end up owing money back to the VA.

SERVICE ALERT: PCC will be launching an updated version of this website on Tuesday, June 28, and Wednesday, June 29. During that time, you may notice some changes to content, layout, and functionality of the site, and there may be interruptions in service. We appreciate your patience during the launch, and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.