Pasadena City College, Home of the PCC Lancers

Payment Information

Veterans utilizing the Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Ch. 33) must pay for class registration fees within three (3) business days of registering for the classes or the classes will be dropped from your schedule. Once the VA has sent in payment for your fees you will be reimbursed those fees even if your fees were waived through a Board of Governors Fee Waiver or CAL VET Fee Waiver. VA payment received between the 1st and 15th of the month will be reimbursed by the last day of that month. VA payment received between the 16th and the 30th of the month will be reimbursed by the 15th of the following month. These dates correspond with PCC's disbursement schedules.

Once you have verified your enrollment (monthly verification) on the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.) website, allow two weeks for payment. VA Benefit checks are sent direct deposit or to the address indicated on your VA application. Payment is based on actual class meeting dates according to the class schedule. Payment of benefits usually occurs between the 1st and the 15th of each month and is paid for the previous month. The VA Regional Office does not consider checks to be late until after the 10th of the month. Payment inquiries should be made directly to the VA Regional Office by calling their toll free number: 1-888-442-4551. NOTE: Federal holidays may delay student verification of enrollment and/or your check.

Direct Deposit

Students receiving benefits have the option to have VA payments deposited directly into a checking/savings account of their choice. Call 1-877-838-2778 to set up an account or to update current direct deposit account information.

Pay Status

VA monthly benefits are paid to the student based on both unit enrollment and the length of the course. Enrollment categories are as follows:

Full-time Three-Fourth Time Half-Time Less Than Half-Time*
12 or more Units 9-11 units 6-8 units 1-5 units

*Less than half-time enrollment is not recommended. Students enrolled less than half-time will receive benefits for Tuition and Fees only and use up a full semester of GI Bill® entitlement.

Processing Time

The PCC Veteran's Office usually processes and submits certifications to the VA, on-line, within one week; during peak periods the process may take up to two weeks. Initial VA processing takes appropriately 8 to 12weeks, so be sure to plan ahead. Continuing student processing may be shorter.

Monthly Verification

Veteran students who will receive benefits under the Montgomery G. I. Bill (CH. 30, 1606, and 1607 only) must verify monthly enrollment. You have the option of calling in your monthly verification or using the internet to verify.

Student Attendance and Avoiding Overpayment

  • If you do not attend class, you are not entitled to benefits.
  • If you stop attending a class, you must drop officially online at LancerPoint and report the drop to the PCC Veteran's Office. Federal law requires that students report any change in enrollment status, which might affect VA educational benefits. Be aware of drop deadlines in the academic calendar.
  • Any withdrawals or class changes may result in an overpayment. In order to prevent the possibility of an overpayment, promptly notify us of any changes in your enrollment. If you are overpaid, you will be required to pay back the overpayment immediately. The Regional Office in Muskogee will contact you by mail on what type of payment options are available.
  • When there is an overpayment, the VA will generally withhold future payments or ask for repayment of the overpaid benefits. Depending on the situation, they can take you to court, charge interest, as well as withhold future tax refunds, attach wages, put a lien on property or deny home loans.

Although the PCC Veteran's Office monitors student attendance, it is imperative that you report any change in enrollment immediately.

Concurrent Enrollment

  • When receiving VA Educational Benefits, you may be concurrently enrolled at more than one school during the same semester. The school where you are receiving a degree will be your "parent school." The other is the "supplemental school." The courses you enroll in at the supplemental school must be approved by your parent school in order for you to receive benefits.
  • You must complete a concurrent enrollment form at your parent school's VA Office. The form indicates that the parent school will grant credit toward the current major for the course(s) taken at the supplemental school. You are responsible for informing the supplemental school where your parent school is located and in requesting certification for the classes you are enrolled in at their institution.

F, W, INC, or NC Grades

  • LBCC is required to check on student attendance for all classes in which a student received F, W, INC, or NC grades. If you receive such a grade, you will be sent a letter where you will be required to indicate the date you last attended.
  • If the F, W, INC, or NC grade is a result of non-attendance, the VA will be notified of the last date of attendance reported by you, and the VA will reduce your units and pay rate effective to the last attendance date you indicate. This may also cause an overpayment.


Veterans' educational benefits are subject to termination if the student has been on academic probation for two consecutive semesters.

Non-Payable Classes / Repeated Courses

  • No payment will be made for classes that are not REQUIRED for a student's degree objective or are not part of the degree objective's general education coursework.
  • Courses for which the student has received transfer are not payable.
  • The VA WILL NOT pay for repeat courses that were successfully completed. Letter grades of A, B, C, or D are considered to be successfully completed for VA purposes.

Exception: Some courses require a specific minimum grade for successful completion or transfer. In this case, you will have to fill out the "Request to Repeat a Course" form to petition retaking the course.

Retroactive Benefits

VA Benefits can be paid retroactively for up to one year for a prior enrollment. However, we do not recommend late applications and strongly encourage you to submit your application the semester you first enroll at PCC.

Prior Credit

The PCC Veteran's Office requires all veterans requesting benefits to submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended prior to attending PCC by the end of their second semester. This prevents a student from being paid for classes that he/she has already completed at other institutions.

Advance Payment

PCC has agreed to process paperwork for advance payment of your first two months of the Montgomery GI Bill®. It is recommended that you make your request at least four weeks before the start of the term. Advance payment checks are mailed directly to the PCC VA office, and the office will notify you that your advance check has arrived and is ready for pick up. Please note that all of the following requirements must be met:

  • Enrollment must be at least half time training.
  • VA regional office receives the advance payment request at least 30 days but not more than 120 days before the beginning of the term.
  • There is more than 30 days between terms and break pay will not be paid.

Dual Major/Goal

Dual majors or a major and minor are not allowed by the VA in any degree AA/AS, BA/BS transfer, or certificate programs. The VA will only pay for one major and for one degree at a time.

Accelerated Sessions

PCC offers 6 week intersessions during the winter and summer. Keep in mind that the DVA will only pay for the time you are actually in the class(es). To determine rate of pay go to the Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Benefit Payment Rates.

SERVICE ALERT: PCC will be launching an updated version of this website on Tuesday, June 28, and Wednesday, June 29. During that time, you may notice some changes to content, layout, and functionality of the site, and there may be interruptions in service. We appreciate your patience during the launch, and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.