- WI faculty have completed training workshops in the WAC program.
- The WI course includes a combination of informal and formal
writing assignments to support the teaching of content. This includes
in-class as well as out-of-class writing. At least 1-2 of these
assignments is a formal writing assignment, depending on the discipline.
- Students in WI classes receive oral and written feedback on
drafts of their writing assignments and projects to encourage
- A WI instructor may receive support from a WAC Writing Fellow
or Instructional Aide in designing assignments and grading rubrics,
conferencing with students during the writing process, and providing
valuable feedback gleaned from informal writing assignments.
- A formal writing assignment should reflect a process approach
with revision opportunities built into the assignment and evident
in the assignment handout.
- It is recommended that grades from writing assignments constitute
20-70 percent of the grade, depending on the discipline.
- If possible, WI courses should include peer review, collaborative
writing, and a variety of professional writing when appropriate,
e.g. patient charts, lab reports, resumes.