Professional Learning | Flex Day 2015
PUTTING THE PIECES TOGETHER...TOGETHER
October 1, 2015 | Sexson Auditorium
Professional Learning Day is a time for all Pasadena City College faculty, staff, and managers to learn together and share ideas on how to support student success.
Flex Day Agenda
- 8:30-9:00 Breakfast
- 9:00-10:00 Introduction
- 10:00-11:00 Keynote Speaker: Eduardo Briceno (Growth Mindset & Equity)
- 11:00-11:20 Reflection Activity
- 11:20-12:30 Lunch
- 12:30-2:00 Synthesis Activity
- 2:00-4:00 Workshops:
- Using Canvas to Foster Connections with Students
- Smart Classroom Technology
- Effective Faculty Leadership: Being Strategic and Vigilant While Still Being Collegial
- Mindfulness to Reduce Stress (On Both Sides of the Desk)
- A Conversation on Diversity
- Equity in Action: The Blackademia Project
- Student Equity Projects Panel
- Military Veterans in the Classroom: What Faculty Need to Know
- CSI PCC: An Example of Using Project-Based Learning to Reduce the Achievement Gap in General Education Biology
- Conflict Resolution Fundamentals
- Effective Communication
- Using Assessment to Support Growth Mindset and Equity
- Using ePortfolios to Streamline Assessment of Course SLO’s and Campus GEO’s
- Understanding and Working with Students with Disabilities
- It’s Not Drama it’s Trauma – How the development of Foster Youth and other students without family stability is impacted because of trauma
- Club Advisor Basics
About Growth Mindset
The concept of mindset was discovered by Stanford University psychologist Carol Dweck after decades of research on achievement, success and motivation.
Dr. Dweck has identified two differing mindsets, fixed and growth. People with a fixed mindset believe that their basic qualities such as intelligence or talent are fixed traits that they were born with, which leads to fear of challenge and investment in documenting success. People with a fixed mindset avoid effort and believe that only talent can result in success.
Those with a growth mindset believe that their basic abilities are a starting point but can be developed through hard work and dedication. This results in a love of learning and resilience that can lead to great accomplishment.
Teaching a growth mindset can help create motivation and productivity in individuals of all ages and in all areas of life ranging from education and business to sports and relationships.