Under the direction of the Director of Technical Services, the Computer Support Technician provides telephone and direct microcomputer and minicomputer technical support for faculty and administrative offices; troubleshoots and solves minor hardware and software problems; maintains a current knowledge of a variety of educational and other office applications; prepares training materials and conducts inservice seminars for faculty and staff; and performs minor clerical and record-keeping duties.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES (Illustrative Only)
- Participates as a member of the Help Desk team that supports the faculty and administrative offices by serving as a resource person for a variety of microcomputer and network-related questions.
- Troubleshoots hardware and software problems for faculty and administrative offices; diagnoses problems and performs minor repairs, maintenance, and adjustments to software and hardware.
- Orients new users to the various available computing resources.
- Regularly learns new software packages, including their basic capabilities, as well as more sophisticated applications.
- Researches, writes, and prepares training manuals and other user guides.
- Works with and provides guidance to part-time hourly classified and student workers.
- Develops and conducts in service seminars for faculty and staff on the use of various microcomputer and network software packages.
- Responds to office-related inquiries according to established college policy.
- May compose and edit a wide variety of written departmental materials.
- May maintain departmental financial records.
- May maintain departmental software license records.
- Learns and applies new technology.
- At the request of a supervisor, performs a variety of unscheduled duties normally and traditionally performed by a Computer Support Technician.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Microcomputer hardware components
- Microcomputer operating systems
- Software packages covering word processing, database management, spreadsheets, desktop publishing, and graphics
- General office procedures
- Organize, develop, and conduct training seminars dealing with a variety software applications
- Learn and use basic to sophisticated applications and techniques with new software packages
- Simplify and interpret complex procedures and manuals for the layperson; Computer Support Technician
- Write user‑friendly training and procedural manuals and guidelines clearly and accurately
- Diagnose microcomputer hardware and software problems and take appropriate corrective action
- Perform general clerical and secretarial tasks
- Work effectively in small groups and in one‑to‑one situations
- Communicate clearly and effectively orally and in writing
- Maintain patient and cooperative work relationships with faculty and staff
- Work in a multiethnic environment
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Two years of experience in either microcomputer or minicomputer support and training; 30 semester units college coursework.
Current A+ and Apple ACMT Certification.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
Possession of or ability to obtain a valid California Driver’s License by time of appointment.
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; to operate a motor vehicle and to visit various District and meeting sites; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person, before groups, and over the telephone. This is primarily a sedentary office classification although standing and walking between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard, typewriter keyboard, or calculator and to operate standard office equipment. Positions in this classification occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects up to 60 pounds with the use of proper equipment.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: One year.
Pasadena City College
1570 East Colorado Boulevard, Pasadena, CA 91106
(626) 585-7361 direct ⋅ (626) 525-7924 fax