CBA DESIGNATION: Represented
Under the direction of the Assistant Director, the Financial Aid Technician II provides support, clear and concise information and advises students on a wide range of complex policies and procedures.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general direction from a supervisor or other appropriately designated management classification. Will not act in the capacity of a supervisor but may be required to lead other staff.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES (Illustrative Only)
- Uses information of financial aid rules to effectively communicate general financial aid information to students, faculty and staff.
- Performs data entry processing of documents into the financial aid database for scholarships and Federal Work Study programs.
- Uses expertise to interpret and apply need analysis for Federal Work Study and Scholarships.
- Analyzes, interprets and explains financial aid disbursement transactions.
- Performs and coordinates clerical activities including, but not limited to, answering and directing telephone calls.
- Participates in large mailings of general information to students and prospective students.
- Possesses good verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to effectively interact with students, staff and any outside contacts.
- Possesses good computer skills necessary to set up document formats in Word, Excel and any other software program required for the position.
- At the request of a supervisor, performs a variety of unscheduled duties normally and traditionally performed by a Financial Aid Technician II.
- Office practices, supplies, and equipment
- Office equipment operations
- Grammar, spelling and usage of English
- Applicable laws, statues and regulations
- District policies and procedures
- SAFERS and EDExpress
- Apply superior customer service strategies
- Interface with students, faculty, staff and community
- Plan and organize a variety of work with varying deadlines
- Learn, interpret and apply laws, rules, policies, and procedures
- Revise or develop and analyze information related to assigned activities
- Operate personal computer systems, software and automated systems
- Demonstrate effective decision-making skills
- Work in a multi-cultural environment
- Work independently with little direction and identify creative solutions to problems.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Read, interpret, apply, and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
An Associate’s degree and two years experience in a financial aid office.
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; to operate a motor vehicle and to visit various District and meeting sites; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person, before groups, and over the telephone. This is primarily a sedentary office classification although standing and walking between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard, typewriter keyboard, or calculator and to operate standard office equipment. Positions in this classification occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects up to 25 pounds.
Employees work in an office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Employees may interact with upset staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
Probationary Period: One year
Pasadena City College
1570 East Colorado Boulevard, Pasadena, CA 91106
(626) 585-7361 direct ⋅ (626) 525-7924 fax