CBA DESIGNATION: Represented
Under general supervision of the Access Services Librarian, this position serves students at a fast paced Circulation Desk, trains and provides lead direction to student assistants, and maintains the library textbook collection.
Monday-Thursday: 11:15 am – 9:45 pm. Schedule may vary. Hours subject to change during Summer Session.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES: (Illustrative Only)
- Performs routine tasks at the Circulation Desk including:
- Utilizes the Library’s WorldShare Management System (WMS) to charge, discharge, and renew library materials.
- Collects fines and payments for library materials.
- Registers community borrowers.
- Verifies data for accuracy and completeness.
- Answers directional and basic information questions.
- Evaluates questions that should be referred to the Reference Librarian.
- Enforces and explains Circulation policies and handles financial holds.
- Assists in hiring, training, supervising, and evaluating student assistants on circulation functions.
- Maintains library textbook collection and acts as a liaison with campus departments for textbook resources.
- Sends new book notices to faculty members.
- Reports unusual occurrences and security incidents to Access Services Librarian, Library Dean, and Campus Police (as needed).
- Maintains procedural manuals and office files as directed.
- At the request of a supervisor, performs a variety of unscheduled duties normally and traditionally performed by a Library Technician I.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- The District’s mission, goals and objectives;
- Effective customer service practices;
- Interpersonal skills including tact, patience and courtesy;
- Oral and written communication skills and presentational skills; and
- Standard office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Learn and interpret rules and regulations;
- Alphabetize, file numerically, and compare names and numbers rapidly and accurately;
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- Train and provide lead direction to student assistants;
- Plan, organize and prioritize work;
- Meet schedules and time lines;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; and
- Understand and be sensitive to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of students, faculty, staff, administration and the community.
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
- Graduation from high school AND
- One year of experience working in libraries.
Experience working at a Library Circulation desk, or completion of a Library Technician certificate program.
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; to operate a motor vehicle and to visit various District and meeting sites; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person, before groups, and over the telephone. This is primarily a sedentary office classification although standing and walking between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard, typewriter keyboard, or calculator and to operate standard office equipment. Positions in this classification occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects up to 25 pounds.
Employees work in an office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Employees may interact with upset staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: One year.
Pasadena City College
1570 East Colorado Boulevard, Pasadena, CA 91106
(626) 585-7361 direct ⋅ (626) 525-7924 fax