Pasadena City College, Home of the PCC Lancers



Proficiency in a language other than English

Students may demonstrate proficiency for the purpose of fulfilling the Language Other Than English IGETC requirement in one of the following ways:

  • Official U.S. transcript must be sent to PCC Admissions & Records Office:
    • Complete two years of high school coursework in one language other than English with a grade of C or better.

  • Official scores must be sent from the College Board to PCC ( Please refer to:
    • Achieve a score of 3, 4 or 5 on a College Board Advanced Placement (AP) examination in a language other than English. (Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese & Spanish)
      • Score of 3 = Foreign Language 1
      • Score of 4 = Foreign Language 2
      • Score of 5 = Foreign Language 3
    • Achieve a satisfactory score on the SAT Subject Test in languages other than English. If the test was taken before May 1995, the first score is the minimum; if the test was taken after May 1995, use the second score.
      • Chinese With Listening: not offered before 1995/520
      • French/French With Listening: 500/540
      • German/German With Listening: 500/510
      • Hebrew (Modern): 500/470
      • Italian: 500/520
      • Japanese With Listening: 500/510
      • Korean/Korean With Listening: not offered before 1995/500
      • Latin: 500/530
      • Spanish/Spanish With Listening: 500/520
    • Achieve a score of 5 or higher on an International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level Examination in a language other than English.
    • Earn a passing grade on the international A level or O level exam in a language other than English.

  • We maintain strict confidentiality; therefore we can only accpet documentation from the student in person in Langauges Department, C247. A PCC Lancer ID card is required. We regret that we cannot accept documents electronically or by fax transmission.
    • Complete, with grades of C or better, two years of formal schooling at the sixth-grade level or higher in an institution where the language of instruction is not English. If secondary school was completed in a non-English-speaking country and the language of instruction of the secondary school was not English, language other than English proficiency can be certified for IGETC without further evaluation. The student must present appropriate documentation of attendance at the secondary school.

  • Satisfactorily complete a proficiency test administered by a community college, university or other college in a language other than English. The test must assess the student proficiency at a level equivalent to at least two years of high school language.
    • HSK Proficiency Test (Chinese)
      • Intermediate Level 4/5/6

  • If an appropriate achievement test is not available to assert proficiency, have competency verified by a faculty member associated with a California community college. Such verification requires that the college provide a document on letterhead asserting that the student's proficiency in the language is equivalent to two years of high school study. (Not available at PCC)

    Please refer to: