Proficiency in a language other than English
Students may demonstrate proficiency for the purpose of fulfilling the Language Other Than English IGETC requirement in one of the following ways:
- Two years of U.S. high school studied in one foreign language with a grade C or better.
- Chinese – 520
- French – 540
- German – 510
- Hebrew (Modern) – 470
- Italian – 520
- Japanese – 510
- Korean – 500
- Latin – 530
- Spanish – 520
- AP Score (Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin & Spanish)
- Score of 3 = Foreign Language 1
- Score of 4 = Foreign Language 2
- Score of 5 = Foreign Language 3
- HSK Proficiency Test (Chinese)
- Complete, with grades of C or better, two years of formal schooling at the foreign countries sixth-grade level or higher in an institution where the language of instruction is not English.
- Foreign countries high school diploma
If secondary school was completed in a non-English-speaking country and the language of instruction of the secondary school was not English, language other than English proficiency can be certified for IGETC without further evaluation. The student must present appropriate documentation of attendance at the secondary school.