Courses may be taken in any order.
MUSIC EDUCATION for YOUNG CHILDREN (Music 30/130)
Students learn techniques for teaching songs, movement and listening games,
and playing small percussion instruments. Introduces the educational approaches
of major educators in the field.
- Sing a great repertoire of songs and learn musical activities for
- Play the beat and latest small percussion instruments designed
especially for young children — and learn to evaluate instruments for
- Catch up on the basics of presenting music to preschoolers, toddlers,
infants and primary-age children.
- Practice using excellent teaching ideas and materials.
MUSIC CURRICULUM APPLICATIONS for YOUNG CHILDREN (Music 135)
Students learn how to design creative lesson plans based on the principles
of major educators for babies, toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners and early
- Participate in hands-on activities designed for children birth to eight.
- Learn how to create a unique a program for your setting that is tailored
to needs of your children and reflects your own interests.
- Explore a rich collection of state-of-the-art resources that can provide
you with a lifetime of the finest musical activities and and teaching ideas.
MULTICULTURAL MUSIC MATERIALS for YOUNG CHILDREN (Music 131)
Students learn how to introduce the rich traditions of music from around the
world to young children.
- Learn how to weave storytelling, music, dance and cultural artifacts from
diverse cultures into exciting, hands-on experiences for young children.
- Discover the best multicultural books and recordings for young children.
- Explore a fascinating array of instruments from around the world.
MUSIC DEVELOPMENT and ASSESSMENT of YOUNG CHILDREN (Music 134)
Students learn how children develop musically from birth to age eight; how
to gear lessons to the needs of specific age groups and populations; how to
assess musical skills and demonstrate progress to employers and parents.
- Observe real music classes taught by trained music specialists.
Choose the age group most relevant to your own work.
- Learn about fascinating brain research that can help you make
a case for the importance of music education for young children
— even babies!
- Practice songs, dances and listening games
- Learn how to teach the use of small percussion instruments
that children love.