News: PACCD Board of Trustees Endorses Student Success Task Force Recommendations
The Pasadena Area Community College District Board of Trustees voted to endorse the findings and recommendationsaimed at improving the educational outcomes of community college students and the workforce preparedness of Californiain the California Community Colleges Student Task Force report.
“We will be the statewide leader in implementing the ambitious reforms recommended by Student Success Task Force,” said Geoffrey Baum, PACCD president.
Taken together, these recommendations promise to strengthen the community college system by expanding those structures and programs that work and realigning resources with student achievement. The report presents a vision for California Community Colleges in the next decade and focuses on what is needed to grow the economy, meet the demands of California’s evolving workplace, and inspire and realize the aspirations of students and families.
The recommendations in this report represent policies and practices that the Task Force believes will help the California Community Colleges improve student success. Some of the recommendations reflect changes that are already underway, while others would chart entirely new territory. In each case, the recommendations will require that in-depth, discrete, and specific implementation strategies be developed in consultation with the appropriate practitioners and stakeholders.
The reports lists recommendations under the headings of:
- Increase student readiness for college.
- Strengthen support for entering students.
- Incentivize successful student behaviors.
- Align course offerings to meet student needs.
- Improve the education of basic skills students.
- Revitalize and re-envision professional development.
- Enable efficient statewide leadership and increase coordination among colleges.
- Align resources with student success recommendations.
- A review of outcome-based funding.
For more information, visit http://californiacommunitycolleges.cccco.edu/.
Release Date: 01/20/2012
Contact: Juan F. Gutierrez , Director, Public Relations
Phone: (626) 585-7315