The Prerequisite Office
The Prerequisite Office is located across from the Counseling Center in L-103D. We can help answer your questions about prerequisites as well as provide you with basic academic advisement, helping you determine whether or not you need to make an appointment with a counselor.
What Are Prerequisites?
Some courses at Pasadena City College have prerequisites, which is a specific level of preparation that you must have before you can take the course. In order to register for a class with prerequisites, you will need to satisfy its prerequisites before your registration date. You can satisfy prerequisites by successfully completing a course or in some cases taking a placement test. If you satisfy the prerequisite at PCC, it will automatically be cleared and you will be allowed to enroll in the class. But, if you satisfied it elsewhere, then you will need to go submit a request for prerequisite clearance.
Prerequisite Clearance is not automatic for courses that you completed at another institution or for courses that are currently in progress at the time of registration. Use the information below to get clearance for these prerequisites.
If you are using credits from another college to satisfy the prerequisites for a course, you will need to have proof of eligibility for the course and submit a request for prerequisite clearance with each specific class (possibly each term).
Proof of Eligibility
We will grant approval for enrollment to the course if you provide an official or unofficial transcripts from previous colleges with the following:
- college/university name
- your name
- passing course grade (without manipulation on the transcript )
In Person Requests (Preferred)
To clear your prerequisites in person, bring your official or unofficial transcripts to the Prerequisite Office in L-103D. Sign in at a computer and one of our advisers will meet with you.
If you cannot meet in person, you may submit a request online by following the steps below.
1. Complete the Prerequisite Clearance Request form online.
2. Check your PCC email for our reply email (sent immediately).
3. Reply to our email (within two weeks) and attach your official or unofficial transcripts that prove you satisfied the prerequisite.
4. Once we receive your documents, your request will be reviewed within 2 business days (M-F, excluding holidays).
Note: If Step 3 is not received within 2 weeks, your request will be discarded.
If you are currently satisfying the prerequisite at PCC, but need to register for classes before the final grade is available, please follow the steps below.
- Log in to LancerPoint and go to the "Classes & Academic" tab.
- Click on "View/Print My class Schedule".
- Select the current term.
- Click on "Return to Menu".
- Click on "Registration History" and look-up your midterm grade.
- If the midterm grade is passing, you will automatically be able to register for the next course in the sequence.
- If the midterm grade is not passing, you will need a letter from your instructor (on PCC letterhead) indicating that you are now passing the course. Bring the letter to the Prerequisite Office and one of our advisers will clear you to enroll in the next course in the sequence.
If you are currently taking a class at another institution to satisfy a prerequisite for a PCC course, but will need to register for classes before the final grade is available, please follow the steps below.
- Get a signed letter from your instructor, on college letterhead with your instructor's contact information (phone # & email), indicating that you are passing the class and the date that the class ends.
- Bring the letter to the Prerequisite Office and an adviser will clear you to enroll in the next sequence course. The clearance will last for only one term.
Prerequisite clearances are only valid for:
- One term - if the class does not have a Math, English, Chemistry, or Language requirement (example: Psychology 2 has a Psychology 1 prerequisite requirement). If you do not enroll in the class in the term requested, you must request for the prerequisite clearance again the following term.
- Permanently - if the class has a Math, English, Chemistry, or Language requirement (example: Phys 1A has a Math 5A prerequisite requirement)
You will need to request a Prerequisite Challenge through the Division of the course you wish to enroll in. A challenge will require documentation to support your request. If approved, the Division will enter the prerequisite clearance so that you can register (only valid for one term). For more information or questions, please connect with the Division of the course you wish to enroll.