Welcome to the Assessment Services Office
Denise Carter, Supervisor, Assessment Services
The Pasadena City College Assessment Services Office provides placement testing for Chemistry, English, English as a Second Language (ESL) and mathematics on a walk-in basis (First Come, First Served). During peak-times (June, July and August) testing is available by online appointment. The Chemistry exam is available for students who need to take a Chemistry 1A course for their major and is administered Monday - Thursday at 9:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. and Friday at 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. The Assessment Office is located in Building D Room 205 . Testing and office hours are listed below.
- Once students are admitted to the college they will receive a PCC Admissions Notice with information on what the next step is and an assigned registration date/time. It is critical that students begin completing these steps as soon as possible for a smooth registration process. Waiting until the week and/or day of your assigned registration date/time could result in delays with the registration process and classes fill very quickly. Please prepare accordingly.
Prepare For Your Future Today!
The placement exams provide First-Time College Students with information on where they should begin coursework at the college. Before taking the exams, students should review the exam preparation materials listed below to receive the highest course placement and to avoid delays with graduation and/or transfer.
Attend a Pre-Assessment Workshop and Study Session (PAWS) to assist with preparing for the exams PAWS sign-up information. Students will learn about the look and feel of the ACCUPLACER placement exams. If you have further questions please contact the Learning Assistance Center at
- Review free sample test questions (Provided by the College Board). Review Reading Comprehension, Sentence Skills, Arithmetic, Elementary Algebra and College Level Math sections.
- If English is not your first language or if you have difficulty communicating or reading in English review Reading Skills, Sentence Meaning and Language Use sections.
- iPhone Users may purchase the new ACCUPLACER APP at iTunes Store for $1.99. (Provided by the College Board)
- Take the free Khan Academy Math Pre-Test.
- Take free Math Diagnostic Exam (ALEKS) - Your ALEKS trial will allow you to explore the ALEKS Student Module for three hours anytime during the next 48 hours. Follow the instructions below for ALEKS Exam Access. (Provided by ALEKS Corporation)
- Install ALEKS Plug-In
- Under Student Module Option Click on Try ALEKS Now Button (User Agreement will need to be accepted to take exam)
- 1) Enter Name, Email, etc. 2) Select I'm a Student, 3) Select Higher Education Math 4) Select Beginning and Intermediate Combined Option
- Additional review materials are available by clicking on the links to the right for English, ESL and math.
Exam Session Checklist
- Apply for Admission Continuing students do not need to reapply, except K-12 students. Student who have not attended PCC for a semester or more will need to reapply.
- Complete the New Student Online Orientation before testing (Required).
- Attend a Pre-Assessment Workshop and Study Session to prepare for the exams.
Monday - Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Testing hours are subject to change without notice. Closed on weekends and major holidays.
- Limited testing hours will be available on the dates listed below due to group testing sessions. Testing is available between the times that are listed. Please plan accordingly. Regular testing hours are available on the dates that are not listed.
- March 10, 11, 12, 13: 8:00 - 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 - 2:00 p.m.
- March 14: Campus Closed
- March 17: 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- March 18. 19, 20, 21: 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- March 24, 25, 26, 27, 28: 1:30 - 2:00 p.m.
- March 31: Campus Closed Cesar Chavez Day
- Arrival at 5:00 p.m. Monday - Thursday, only one exam can be taken. If exam is not completed by 6:15 p.m. it will be saved and may be completed at another time.
- Arrival at 2:00 p.m. on Fridays, only one exam can be taken. If exam is not completed by 3:45 p.m. it will be saved and may be completed at another time.
Monday - Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Office hours are subject to change without notice. Closed on weekends and major holidays.
- During the following dates/times below limited office hours will be available due to special group testing sessions. Please plan accordingly. Regular office hours are available on the dates that are not listed.
- March 10, 11, 12, 13: 8:00 - 10:30 a.m. and 1:00 - 4:00 p.m
- March 14: Campus Closed Spring Break
- March 17: 9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. & 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.
- March 24, 25, 26, 27, 28: 9:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. & 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- March 31: Campus Closed Cesar Chavez Day
Exam Format and Length
- The ACCUPLACER English, ESL and math placement exams are computerized, multiple-choice with no time limit. It takes approximately 2 to 3 hours to complete two exams and 1 to 1 1/2 hours to complete one exam. Dictionaries, calculators and other aides are not permitted. Scratch paper will be provided.
- Plan adequate time to complete the exam(s).
- The Chemistry placement exam is paper/pencil, multiple-choice and is timed: 45 minutes to complete 44 items. A basic calculator can be used and will be provided only for the Chemistry exam.
Items to Bring for Exam
- Valid Photo ID (Photocopies and Expired IDs are not accepted).
- LancerPoint ID Number (Listed on your emailed Admissions Notice) or LancerPoint Photo ID. If the ID number has been misplaced it can be obtained at the Admissions Office, L113.
- $2.00 for parking
- The English, ESL and Math Exam results are available after completing the exam(s) in the Assessment Services Office, D205. Exam results can be viewed on the PCC LancerPoint website. Click on Student Records Tab then Click on View Test Scores.
- After completing the exam, students will receive an email from the ACCUPLACER Program with instructions on how to retrieve an electronic copy of exam results.
- Chemistry exam results are available the following business day at the Advisement Office, L103D.
- Months of June, July and August (First-Time College Students): Exam results will be provided during scheduled Group Counseling Session.
- Results are valid for two years.
- Exam results cannot be provided to students via telephone, email or fax.
- Exam results are not provided to other colleges via fax, mail, etc. Please take the exam at the college that you plan to attend.
- Students must wait a minimum of eight weeks to retake the placement exam.
- Exams may only be retaken once in a one-year period.
- The placement test cannot be used to skip to a higher level class, once you begin a course sequence in English, ESL or math you must continue with the next course in the sequence.
- No food, drinks or visitors permitted in the testing room. Please do not sit on stairs or in front of emergency doors.
- The Assessment staff cannot disclose whether a student is testing or still in the testing room. Please make arrangements before testing on where to meet once testing is completed.
- ACCUPLACER exam(s) taken at another college within the last year.
- Early Assessment Program (EAP) exam taken within the last year AND identified as college ready in English and/or math. Get EAP Results.
- Successfully completed English or college level math courses at another college.
- Earned a Bachelor’s or higher degree from an accredited educational institution.
- Educational goal of "educational development/personal development/ interest."
- Enrolled in courses with no prerequisites AND enrolled in six units or fewer.
- Bring transcript or official exam results to the Advisement Office, L103D for evaluation. Exam results must be printed on official college letterhead from the college that you took the exam at and in a sealed envelope. Emailed transcripts or exam results are not accepted. Not all courses or exam results are accepted.