What to Do
Assessment/Placement tests are recommended only for Adult High School, GED Preparation, and some ESL courses (ESL Literacy and Levels 1-5)*.
Note: Adult High School and GED placement test scores are valid for 2 years. ESL placement test scores are valid for 1 year. You do not need to retake tests if your scores are still valid.
To schedule your placement tests, make sure you have:
- Your PCC student ID number (Lancer ID)
- Activated or reactivated your LancerPoint account
- Completed the Noncredit Orientation. Placement test appointments can also be scheduled by following the instructions at the end of the online orientation.
- If no test appointments are available in the appointment scheduling system, please
call the Counseling Office at (626) 585-3006 for assistance.
Schedule a Remote Test Schedule an In-Person Test
Once your Placement/Assessment test appointment is scheduled, you will receive a separate email containing instructions regarding your test.
If you are having technical difficulties to schedule between In-person and Remote testing please try clearing your browser's cookies and cache, then restart your computer and try again. If you don't know how to clear your browser, links to instructions are below. Be sure to clear all, and not other options such as just the past hour. Don't skip restarting your computer after clearing your browser -- that sometimes makes the difference.
Clearing cookies and cache in...
If you are using Internet Explorer, Edge, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox you can also quickly clear cache with a keyboard shortcut. While in your browser, press Ctrl + Shift + Delete simultaneously on the keyboard to open the appropriate window.
More About Assessment / Placement
Placement tests are assessments used to check your academic skill level in a variety of subjects. Don’t worry, this is not a pass or fail test. The results of the tests are used to place you in the appropriate class level. They are also used as an advisement tool to provide you with information and guidance for your academic educational goals.
We use the CASAS assessment/placement test for Noncredit courses. The Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System (CASAS) is the most widely used system in the U.S. for assessing adult basic reading, mathematics, listening, writing, and speaking skills. It is used to rate skill levels needed for success in the workplace, community, and family. In addition, CASAS establishes measurable goals and learning outcomes to determine which of your skills need strengthening.
- Testing location is at the PCC Foothill Campus (refer to your testing appointment email for the room number).
- It is recommended to have all official transcripts from any previous schools ready on the day of your Assessment/Placement test (for Adult High School only).
- Testing process will take approximately 3.5 hours.
- NO children permitted in testing room.
- You must bring a valid government-issued photo ID to Assessment Services when taking a test. The Assessment Office reserves the right to ask for a second form of ID.
- Types of Photo ID that we accept:
- Driver’s license
- State ID
- Military ID
- High School ID issued within the last couple of years
- LancerPoint photo ID if you are a continuing PCC Noncredit student
- We DO NOT accept:
- Photo IDs from other colleges and universities
- Bank cards
- Library cards
- Temporary DMV License and/or ID Card unless used to supplement expired ID card
- Photocopies of identification or electronic versions
- If you have a disability and believe you may need accommodations for your placement test, such as extended testing time, alternate material, etc. per the Americans with Disabilities Act or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, please contact the Counseling office to speak with a DSPS Counselor at 626-585-3006 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions about testing, please contact our Noncredit Counseling Department.