To quality for DSPS services, you need to have a verified disability. Verifying documentation should be recent. It can be an Individual Education Program (IEP); Section 504 Plan; assessment reports from your Regional Center or Department of Rehabilitation; a letter on letterhead from a physician or medical specialist, psychiatrist, psychologist, speech-language pathologist; audiologist or an audiogram; or a statement of discharge status from the military, verifying disability.

Reasonable accommodations provide access to the curriculum and the instructional and educational process. They do not alter the course or degree requirements or the instructional methods. An example of a reasonable accommodation would be for a student who is deaf and needs interpreting services to access the curriculum and the instructional process within a classroom.

Accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis by the DSPS Teacher-Specialist or Counselor regarding the your needs as described in your disability documentation.

If you have a disability, you need to be able to identify your needs and use self-advocacy.

Depending on the disability and the educational limitations, you can receive classroom accommodations of counseling; registration assistance; preferential seating; a reduced load of classes; assistive technology in the classroom; books and other printed materials in alternate formats; interpreting and captioning services; a family-provided and PCC-approved “Personal Service Attendant” or PSA; and increased time on tests in a quiet location.
The verification process is completed through an interview with you, as a new student, applying for services. Students are encouraged to complete the DSPS application, to bring in documentation and to make an “intake” appointment. At that appointment, your Teacher-Specialist or Counselor will help to determine your educational limitations and to provide reasonable accommodations with the Student Education Contract (SEC).
The DSPS office prefers that students either mail or hand-carry their documentation to our secure office area. If documentation is a physician’s letter on letterhead or an audiogram - not exceeding 4-5 pages - it can be received by our DSPS fax at (626) 585-7566.
No. Participation in DSPS is voluntary and you must request DSPS services.
There is no additional cost to you for DSPS services.

If you received special education in high school you probably had an IEP. Please bring in a copy of your IEP from high school to help the counselor determine what accommodations would best serve you.

Please let our DSPS know immediately! Call to (626) 585-7127 or email to