Become an Electrocardiogram (EKG) Technician
The Electrocardiogram (EKG) Technician (HLSC 112) is a course that prepares individuals for entry level employment opportunities as an EKG Technician. The course focuses on the basic principles of performing and recording electrocardiograms in the medical office or acute care clinical setting.
- Course Length:
1 semester (4 units) pass/no pass course
- Course Completion:
- Certificate of Course Completion
- Eligible to take the ASPT-Electrocardiography Technician exam and the National EKG Technician Certification exam
What is an Electrocardiogram (EKG) Technician?
An EKG Technician, is a healthcare worker who works in a clinical setting and performs the following functions: cardiac monitoring, administrating cardiac tests, analyzing cardiac rhythms, and recording cardiac activity of patients used in the diagnosis and treatment of patients.
EKG Technicians perform tasks in the general care of hospital, clinic, and other ambulatory care settings. EKG Technicians work directly under the supervision of other licensed medical personnel and perform services that require less training, therefore, freeing the more advanced skilled staff to perform more specialized duties. Typical services and responsibilities of an EKG Technician include:
- Performing electrocardiograms
- Recognizing abnormal heart rhythms
- Assisting with cardiac monitoring
- Ensuring appropriate lead placement when performing electrocardiograms
- Entering patient data into electronic health record or other patient data system
The online application for the EKG Technician course will be available during the application cycle. The application cycle will close when enough candidates to fill the section(s) have been selected. It is important to read through all of the information prior to applying.
- February 20 - March 10: applicants who apply during this application cycle will begin the course in the Summer Intersession, if selected.
- June 15 - July 1: applicants who apply during this application cycle will begin the course in the Fall semester, if selected.
- October 1 - October 20: applicants who apply during this application cycle will begin the course in the Winter Intersession, if selected.
- November 1- November15: applicants who apply during this application cycle will begin the course in the Spring semester, if selected.
Winter 2024 EKG Technician course schedule:
- Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1/9/2024 through 2/15/2024, 8:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
On Campus Skills Lab
- Tuesdays and Thursdays 1/9/2024 through 2/15/2024 1:00 p.m. - 3:50 p.m.
Off Campus Clinical
- 7 hours per week in addition to any scheduled hours from 1/9/2024 through 2/15/2024. Instructor will provide detailed information on the specific time for the off campus clinical requirement once the course has begun.
Note: Applicants must be 18 years or older, provide proof of U.S. High School graduation, GED or Foreign Equivalency Report (requires translation). EKG Technician course clinical sites require anyone assisting with the provision of care within their facility or completing clinical rotations to be 18 years or older. In order to successfully complete the EKG Technician course, you must complete both the theory and clinical components of the course.