First time receiving GI Bill® Benefits? Follow the steps below to become a PCC student and start using your educational benefits!

Step 1: Apply for GI Benefits

The Department of Veterans Affairs has an excellent step by step road map that you should review to help you determine your benefit eligibility, compare programs, calculate your benefit, collect your paperwork, and apply for VA benefits online.

The Department of Veterans Affairs can take at least 45 days to approve your benefits and often will take longer. Follow detailed steps for your situation below.

1. Apply online at VONAPP for VA Education Benefits using Form 22-1990

Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill®) Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®, Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program), Chapter 1607(Reserve Educational Assistance Program)

2. Provide your discharge or eligibility papers:

  • Chapter 33,30 & 1607: Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD 214 form) (Member 4 copy) for all periods of active duty service
  • Chapter 1606: Reservists must provide a copy of their Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)(DD 2384), issued from your military unit.

Mail or Fax papers to the VA Regional Office in Muskogee, OK or Scan and upload them to your online application.

Apply online at VONAPP for VA Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance using form 22-5490.

Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents

Step 2: Apply and Enroll at PCC

Complete the steps to apply for admission and enroll at PCC. Steps including submitting your online application, completing an online orientation, taking your assessment tests, apply for financial aid and go to the Veterans Resource Center for a new student counseling appointment. Use our Get Started Website for details on how to complete each step!

Get Started at PCC

Step 3: Turn in Your Documents

You will need to turn in the following military documents to the PCC Veteran Certifying Official in Building L, Room 113.

  • Your Certificate of Eligibility will be mailed to you. (If you have not received it, bring a copy of your Application for VA Educational Benefits)
  • Your discharge (DD214) or eligibility (NOBE) papers.
  • Signed PCC Veteran's Statement of Responsibility.

Step 4: Submit an Educational Plan to the GI Bill Certifying Office

During your New Student Veterans Counseling Session, you will develop an Education Plan. Bring this plan to the VA Certifying Office (L-113).

Additionally, you must declare a major by your second semester. After declaring your major, make an appointment with a counselor at the Veterans Resource Center in W-108 or by calling (626) 585-7226 ext. 4 to make a Comprehensive Student Education Plan (CSEP). Bring this updated plan to the Veterans Services Office.

Step 5: Request Your Benefits Each Semester

Certification is not automatic.To have your certification submitted to the VA, you must register for classes, complete the Request for Benefits form and contact the Veterans Certifying Agent in Admissions and Records, L-113 before the start of each semester.