Frequently Asked Questions
Have a question? Use these Biotechnology Program FAQ to help you get an answer!
General Program Questions
The Biological Technology program offers five certificates:
- Certificate of Achievement - Biological Technology (50-59 units)
- Certificate of Achievement - Lab Assistant Option (39 units)
- Certificate of Achievement - Stem Cell Culture (30 units)
- Certificate of Achievement - Computational Biology (18 units)
- Certificate of Achievement - Laboratory Skills (18 units)
- Participation in the program can help you develop work-place competencies.
- You can also earn an AS degree in conjunction with the Certificate of Achievements. To do so, you will need to complete the AS Degree general education requirements.
The key to compete for an entry level position in the biotech industry is to have a solid personal skills package. The program is designed to help develop personal workplace skills, expose and train students to a variety of technical skills, and provide familiarity with laboratory instruments that are commonly used in the biotech industry.
- As a Biotechnology student you will be required to participate in an unpaid internship for 234 hours. Internship hours are flexible and you will work out your internship schedule with your site manager.
- The CIRM Bridges to Stem Cell Research Program offers a competitive full-time paid internship for a period of one year. Only current students nearing completion of the PCC Biotechnology Program may apply.
You may still benefit from the Biological Technology program! Many college graduates may not have acquired the laboratory experience necessary to be competitive when applying for employment in the biotechnology industry or post-graduate program. Our program will help you gain laboratory experience through our required internships.
The Biotechnology Program at PCC can help you develop basic laboratory skills, earn Certificates of Achievements through course equivalencies, and assist with internship placement that will add to your laboratory experiences.
Yes! Please submit your unofficial transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org for review.
The tuition for the required courses is the current tuition cost to attend Pasadena City College. There may also be mandatory health fees associated with the cost of the tuition per semester as well as course material, and parking at PCC.
Please refer to the individual Certificates of Achievements awarded by the program for number of units of completion.