When Do You Need a New Visa?

If the visa stamp in your passport has expired, you will need to get a new visa stamp the next time you leave the United States for home or any country. It is NOT necessary to have a valid stamp while studying and remaining within the U.S. with your PCC I-20.

Special Note:

  • Possible delay of several weeks in F-1 visa issuance/renewal
  • If you need or plan to renew your F-1 visa, you must apply in your country of citizenship or residence. Contact the U.S. Embassies/Consulates in advance for additional information such as appointments and interviews. For visa wait time in your country, please log on to http://www.travel.state.gov/ 
  • Special security checks will be enforced at U.S. visa posts in 26 countries that will take up to 20 days. Countries affected are: Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Morocco, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen.
  • Delays may also be found in Bangladesh and India.

How to Apply for a New Visa

  1. Complete Travel Request Form.
  2. Email the travel request to iso@pasadena.edu
  3. Come to D-204 to pick-up your I-20 or purchase a shipping label for your I-20.
    1. Purchase a shipping label through these steps:
      1. Pre-order an express shipping label through SASS-SmartShip.com for us to mail you your I-20
      2. Follow the instructions to register your account
      3. Once activated, choose “Pasadena City College” to create your shipment
      4. Remember to include your name and your student ID in all mailings sent out. Your name can be listed in the “To” or “In Care Of” sections
      5. Follow the instructions to purchase the shipping label. Our office will print the label and mail your admission packet. Please allow us 1-2 days to prepare your shipment
      6. Once a document shipment is moving, SASS-SmartShip will alert you via email
  4. Obtain evidence of bank funds you have from your sponsor. 
  5. Take your I-20 with a travel signature, bank statement, transcript, and your passport with you when you leave the U.S.
  6. Go to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country of citizenship or residence with all of the above documents.
  7. Upon your return, email a copy of your new F-1 visa to iso@pasadena.edu


  • It is a good idea to have a copy of your entire passport in a safe place in case it is lost or stolen.
  • You cannot renew an F-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate in a country other than your own.